Miguel Gonzalez Appreciation Tread

weams

29 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Davies isn't really all that and a bag of chips. I was never impressed with his stuff when I saw him in Norfolk

Well, we will see.     He had a solid year last year, but is off to a rocky start this season.    

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/24/2017 at 11:40 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

Injured Gonzalez was awful too, and while he's been what he was with us; at the time he looked awful. Paying Miguel $4 million to fart around in AAA, good god we'd be SCREAMING at DD for doing that. 

Judging Miguel Gonzalez on limited spring training innings isn't the proper way to evaluate a player. By that logic, Jake Fox is God.

Miguel Gonzalez had an option. Miguel Gonzalez was owed $4m. As a starter. $4m might be pricy for Brian Matusz, but for an optionable starter with bounceback potential AND our rotation had severe depth issues right out of the gates (I mean we signed Gallardo with his arm nearly falling off...talk about poor springs!)? No brainer.

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Look at the situation. We had just carried a hurt Norris the year before for $10 million dollars. Tillman was coming off an injury plagued year. Matusz was tendered , not by DD, for $4 million. Gallardo was having shoulder injections at the beginning of a 2 year, freshly signed deal. Ubaldo being Ubaldo. Also, we picked up Worley for a couple million to be the swing guy/innings eater.

There was no role for Miggy.  I like the guy but someone had to go.  He was topping out at 85 in late ST and had just been pounded by a ST lineup.  He could go cheaply so he did.  

I'll root for the guy, but we're alright without him. 

What happened to the Miranda and Davies threads?  Is it because they are struggling and Miley has been a beast?  What about that Miley trade?  

Everything you just listed is the exact reason why you hold on to an optionable starter in Miggy. 

As for Miranda? He's had 4 starts. One poor, one bad, one good and one great. I'd love to have in our rotation. He's cheap, controllable, lefty and has upside. As for Davies? Not sure what's going on with him, but he's been solid for Milwaukee up until this year. 

Miley the jury is still out on. I honestly didn't like the Miley trade then. I'm not judging anybody on a handful of starts, lest we turn into an angry mob re: Gausman and his abysmal start to the season. But if he ends up having a great year, I'll change my tune.

9 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Everything you just listed is the exact reason why you hold on to an optionable starter in Miggy. 

As for Miranda? He's had 4 starts. One poor, one bad, one good and one great. I'd love to have in our rotation. He's cheap, controllable, lefty and has upside. As for Davies? Not sure what's going on with him, but he's been solid for Milwaukee up until this year. 

Miley the jury is still out on. I honestly didn't like the Miley trade then. I'm not judging anybody on a handful of starts, lest we turn into an angry mob re: Gausman and his abysmal start to the season. But if he ends up having a great year, I'll change my tune.

You'd be yelling and screaming about how we can't develop pitching if we kept Miranda. I could hit off of him. Dude's FIP is unreal. Him and Gallardo are going to sink their rotation, along with Smyly once he gets back. 

30 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

You'd be yelling and screaming about how we can't develop pitching if we kept Miranda. I could hit off of him. Dude's FIP is unreal. Him and Gallardo are going to sink their rotation, along with Smyly once he gets back. 

No, I'd rather we kept Miranda and Gonzo, not signed Gallardo and then used the money saved between Gallardo and Miley to sign someone half competent. 

We wonder why we can't sign or develop starting pitching, but we have/had > $30m tied up between Ubaldo, Gallardo and Miley and lost *2* 1st round picks and a decent back of the rotation starter that was controllable and cheap all for below mediocrity. 

Thats my problem here. We have no plan for beyond 2018 because all the talent in the minors is gone and we will be stuck with an aging Davis and Trumbo (both players we competed against ourselves for). 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:41 AM, Dark Helmet said:

They kept Tillman because he had a bad year at 26 after having 3 straight good years. You don't cut those players. Do you suggest they cut Gausman now?

If your going to harp on something, harp on him replacing Gonzalez with guys like Gallardo. Tillman really has nothing to do with Miguel Gonzalez.

Where did I suggest that we should have cut Tillman? Of course we shouldn't have cut Tillman. Just like of course we shouldn't have cut Gonzalez. Gonzalez literally out-performed during the good years of 2012-2014 and then didn't have as bad of a year in 2015. Yet Gonzalez was too expensive at 2/3 of the price of Tillman?

On April 25, 2017 at 8:15 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Look at the situation. We had just carried a hurt Norris the year before for $10 million dollars. Tillman was coming off an injury plagued year. Matusz was tendered , not by DD, for $4 million. Gallardo was having shoulder injections at the beginning of a 2 year, freshly signed deal. Ubaldo being Ubaldo. Also, we picked up Worley for a couple million to be the swing guy/innings eater.

There was no role for Miggy.  I like the guy but someone had to go.  He was topping out at 85 in late ST and had just been pounded by a ST lineup.  He could go cheaply so he did.  

I'll root for the guy, but we're alright without him. 

What happened to the Miranda and Davies threads?  Is it because they are struggling and Miley has been a beast?  What about that Miley trade?  

Actually a lot of what you cite seems evidence to me of a mismanaged or poorly negotiated pitching roster.

On April 25, 2017 at 0:55 PM, SilverRocket said:

When did he get this pitch?!

I can't remember clearly, but wasn't moving his position on the rubber part of what the White Sox did with Miguel? He seems in this video to be further to the 1st-base end of it. Maybe that allowed him to work in more arm-side fade without losing strikes?

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Matt Bennett said:

3) Does it say Tillman is over-rated or Gonzalez is under-rated? What really gets me is that both had equally bad years in 2015, yet Tillman was kept at $6 mil without flinching

To me, that's suggesting the Orioles should have considered cutting Tillman.

3 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

To me, that's suggesting the Orioles should have considered cutting Tillman.

You only quoted me halfway through the sentence!!?? I think clearly the point was not that the Orioles should have considered cutting Tillman, it was that they shouldn't have considered cutting Gonzalez.

Equal results. 2/3 of the price. Tillman was correctly kept at $6 mil, yet Gonzalez was incorrectly released at 2/3 of the price. Makes no sense. These types of moves are the reason why the Orioles haven't taken the next step.

20 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

You only quoted me halfway through the sentence!!?? I think clearly the point was not that the Orioles should have considered cutting Tillman, it was that they shouldn't have considered cutting Gonzalez.

Equal results. 2/3 of the price. Tillman was correctly kept at $6 mil, yet Gonzalez was incorrectly released at 2/3 of the price. Makes no sense. These types of moves are the reason why the Orioles haven't taken the next step.

Why do you keep harping on Tillman? He's been a quality starter. Why don't you harp on the Jimenez or Gallardo moves? It's just funny timing on your par . The Orioles have the best record in baseball. And that's been due to their pitching. 

I'm done with the topic. If you choose to dwell on the past then have had it. I'm going to enjoy 1st place.

Archived