We have our #3: Guthrie

VC@WilliamMary

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Problem is, it is highly unlikely that he will keep it up.

I am very surprised at the Red Sox approach today.

I'm actually pretty optomistic that he'll end up being very solid for us. He throws very hard and is exactly the type of pitcher with which Mazzone can go very well with (see Jaret Wright and Jorge Sosa).

I think he'll end up being a John Maine type guy for us.

I'm actually pretty optomistic that he'll end up being very solid for us. He throws very hard and is exactly the type of pitcher with which Mazzone can go very well with (see Jaret Wright and Jorge Sosa).

I agree except that he has much better stuff than Maine. if we can get him straightened out he can be added as the number 5 at least.

He might but nothing in his minor league resume suggests it will happen.

And, on top of that, he is not striking anyone out.

I looked back at his MiL stats hoping to see that maybe he was a workhorse down there but he averaged less than 6 IP, per start, at the MiL level.

Maybe he can buck a historical trend...He wouldn't be the first and he certainly has the stuff. BUt 2 straight good starts doesn't change the fact that his professional career suggests that this is a big fluke.

I would feel alot better about Guthrie is he was striking out hitters. A guy with his stuff, especially his fastball, should be striking out hitters at a much better rate.

I looked back at his MiL stats hoping to see that maybe he was a workhorse down there but he averaged less than 6 IP, per start, at the MiL level.

Maybe he can buck a historical trend...He wouldn't be the first and he certainly has the stuff. BUt 2 straight good starts doesn't change the fact that his professional career suggests that this is a big fluke.

15 SO in 29 innings is not that bad at the ML level, SG.

I would feel alot better about Guthrie is he was striking out hitters. A guy with his stuff, especially his fastball, should be striking out hitters at a much better rate.

I also would definitely feel better if he was stricking out more but you also have to like the fact that he's getting alot of ground ball outs and that he's working quickly. We have enough strickout pitchers with Bedard and Cabrera and he need one that will work quick and give our bullpen a night off.

I also would definitely feel better if he was stricking out more but you also have to like the fact that he's getting alot of ground ball outs and that he's working quickly. We have enough strickout pitchers with Bedard and Cabrera and he need one that will work quick and give our bullpen a night off.
No such thing as to many.

OK SG. What is better, a pitcher who needs 115 pitches to get through six innings or a pitcher who today has thrown 85 pitches through eight innings.

First of all, i am hoping you aren't saying a pitcher who strikes out alot needs to throw all of those pitches because you are wrong.

Secondly, these 85 pitch 8 inning outings are few and far between.

As i said, the Red Sox approach today has been poor which is amazing for a team like Boston who has the best approach of maybe any team in baseball.

Now, i am liking what i have seen from Guthrie but to call him a #3 is way too premature...Hell, based on his MiL stats, to call him a #5 is premature.

Now, as i said, maybe he bucks the trend but many people on here are going to start to expect way too much out of him now.

Archived