Manny starts Suspension Today

weams

Yes I remember there was wind, but Machado has pimped singles or doubles that he thought was gone and ended up being one base short of where he should have been. He pimped a few deep fly outs as well, has he not?

He is wrong a lot when he does that for some reason, but I'm not sure it would have affected the next at bat unless Ventura was lifted for a reliever before Manny batted again. Manny still pimped it right at Ventura and

he wasn't even hit with the pitch.

I'm not one to be the "PC" police, but "pimped" comes off real bad here.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It comes off bad if you think of pimp in this way:

pimp

noun

a person, especially a man, who solicits customers for a prostitute or a brothel, usually in return for a share of the earnings; pander; procurer.

a despicable person.

Australia and New Zealand. an informer; stool pigeon.

verb (used without object)

to act as a pimp.

verb (used with object)

to act as a pimp for.

to exploit.

However, if you look at the various meanings it can have, like in the urban dictionary . . . . . . . . .

pimping

More commonly used nowadays as making something cool or better.

Yeah, I was totally pimping up my profile today!

#cool #better #pimped #awesome #common

pimping

another word for awesome, radical or cool.

pimping man, pimping.

#pimping #radical #awesome #cool #sweet

pimping

To strongly promote and support a certain thing.

pimping

A person who has the best girls. and the most bling-bling of anyone.

*So, if you consider one of these meanings was intended by the poster, its prob doesnt come off so bad.

It comes off bad if you think of pimp in this way:

pimp

noun

a person, especially a man, who solicits customers for a prostitute or a brothel, usually in return for a share of the earnings; pander; procurer.

a despicable person.

Australia and New Zealand. an informer; stool pigeon.

verb (used without object)

to act as a pimp.

verb (used with object)

to act as a pimp for.

to exploit.

However, if you look at the various meanings it can have, like in the urban dictionary . . . . . . . . .

pimping

More commonly used nowadays as making something cool or better.

Yeah, I was totally pimping up my profile today!

#cool #better #pimped #awesome #common

pimping

another word for awesome, radical or cool.

pimping man, pimping.

#pimping #radical #awesome #cool #sweet

pimping

To strongly promote and support a certain thing.

pimping

A person who has the best girls. and the most bling-bling of anyone.

*So, if you consider one of these meanings was intended by the poster, its prob doesnt come off so bad.

I'm personally not real good with it even though it is very common vernacular in sports talk.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Manny: "All I can say is I wish whoever is making those opinions could step in the batter?s box and try to get hit by a 99-mph fastball."</p>? Dan Connolly (@danconnolly2016) <a href="
">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This statement is incredibly ignorant. Joe Torre was hit 85 times in his 17 year career. Manny has been hit 11 times in his career to date. Torre was hit 10 times in one year! I love watching Manny play and his interactions with Schoop and other team mates make me smile, but this comment and some of his actions are downright silly.

This statement is incredibly ignorant. Joe Torre was hit 85 times in his 17 year career. Manny has been hit 11 times in his career to date. Torre was hit 10 times in one year! I love watching Manny play and his interactions with Schoop and other team mates make me smile, but this comment and some of his actions are downright silly.

It isn't quite the same thing when you lean into the pitch.

It isn't quite the same thing when you lean into the pitch.

Torre leaned in to the pitch 85 times? You don't think Torre and other former players involved in the discipline know what it is like getting hit? Manny got a light penalty for charging the mound. If he wants to "act like a man" when he gets beaned, then he should "act like a man" when he gets a light penalty and take his medicine without sounding like a spoiled teenager. The situation was reflected in the penalty.

Torre leaned in to the pitch 85 times? You don't think Torre and other former players involved in the discipline know what it is like getting hit? Manny got a light penalty for charging the mound. If he wants to "act like a man" when he gets beaned, then he should "act like a man" when he gets a light penalty and take his medicine without sounding like a spoiled teenager. The situation was reflected in the penalty.

First off I was rather vocal about being unhappy with Machado's actions that game. Go check the game thread if you doubt me.

And while I am sure Torre didn't lean into 85 pitches I guarantee you he leaned into some of them.

I am also willing to bet the contents of my bank account none of the ones he got hit with were going 99 MPH.

The person who got off light is the pitcher that has been involved in four bench clearing incidents in the last season and a half.

Why oh why did Manny's teammates force Ventura's hand by knocking Ventura around before Manny came to bat???2

Ventura holds the ball. You could argue that he'd have been better off if he'd plunked Manny the first time, but then again Ventura would not have been ejected (likely warned, but we can't be sure) and it's more likely (though not a certainty) that we throw into the waist of one of their guys later that game or in the next, escalating things between the teams instead of between Ventura and the O's.

We can't know what the multi verse holds.

Perhaps buck is to blame for not charging the umpire (prematurely) after the second attempt to plunk Manny. But the thing is, in all of these scenarios the party who reacts to the pitcher who has motive and intent are accomplices to the law breaking the instant they want justice.

Not condoning Manny. We paused the game when he left the batters box because I have young kids in the room.

Yeah, let's excuse Machado's actions entirely then as if it never happened and pretend we don't know why he was suspended. Let's let batters take a bat out to the mound if they get hit by a pitch too then. Just give

all hitters immunity if they get hit by a pitch so that way, they can go upside the pitcher's head with a bat and won't face any penalties at all. You don't have to be a manager to see what happened and even knowing

Ventura's history, it doesn't excuse the fact that Manny charged the mound and started a brawl when he could have chosen to just go down to first base. There's no suspension for that.

Lol hyperbole much?

No, it's right on point. Torre has lost the plot when it comes to these issues. Torre let's Bautista slide with a one game suspension when he intentionally tried to take out odor after be in hit by a pitch. Manny takes on the person who actually hit him. The sentencing logic is backwards.

Odor got 8. MLB really.... they didn't clamp down on Ventura, make him miss two or three starts. Because 15, 20, 25, days is a MUCH greater hit to his salary than Manny's for four. But they spotlighted what a RICHARD Ventura is by only giving Manny 4 games. They showed who was in the wrong and in the right in this little episode. Manny pushing this to appeal would be biting the hand that feeds you.

I don't get it. What do you mean by Ventura being a "RICHARD"? Huh???? :scratchchinhmm:

Lol hyperbole much?

Yes, it was sarcastic and an intentional exaggeration. :laughlol: It's just hilarious to me how so many people including Buck are so willing to excuse Manny of his actions, then finger point to everyone else about how they

have an "agenda" when the BS gets called out. Machado was pitched inside twice without being hit, then pimps the first fly ball he hits which did not get out of the park and is an action that Palmer has laid into him about

on telecasts on numerous occasions.

What Manny basically did was act like Jose Bautista. He does the same crap when he's pitched inside without being hit, but I guess some fans just have "agendas" when it comes to giving Oriole players free passes on things

they crucify players on other teams for. It goes to ridiculous lengths hence the hyperbole in the post you quoted. :P

I don't know what other word to use for the associated action. Words have more than one definition, many of them do. This is one of them. When a player makes hard contact and stands in the box admiring it, it's called

pimping it. It has nothing to do with any other definition of the word.

Archived