Manfred: If MiLB Players Get Raise, Teams will Be Folded

weams

Further, minor league baseball can be treated as a low paying job like an internship because the supply outweighs the demand for low skilled amateur players. Why pay a bunch of people MORE money when there are thousands of people beating the door down to play in the low minors?

Manfred is absolutely correct in his assertion that a raised wage would ruin the balance. If these players want to get paid more then they need to be prepared for the reality that only the best will get paid at all. That would mean severe reductions in the number of minor league teams.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Further, minor league baseball can be treated as a low paying job like an internship because the supply outweighs the demand for low skilled amateur players. Why pay a bunch of people MORE money when there are thousands of people beating the door down to play in the low minors?

Manfred is absolutely correct in his assertion that a raised wage would ruin the balance. If these players want to get paid more then they need to be prepared for the reality that only the best will get paid at all. That would mean severe reductions in the number of minor league teams.

They are for the most part like sparing partners. Who in no way share in the gate from the main event. They get a little part time seasonal work. Day labor as it were.

Union extras in movies and TV make $18.50 an hour -- non-union around $100 a day -- still probably a lot better than what these filler minor leaguers are making. And these are just extras! You can't get less skilled than an extra.

But yep, in a nutshell I agree what you're describing is probably the situation. It's a two-tiered or multi-tiered system where the players considered to be future major leaguers or at least possible future major leaguers make bank or make decent money -- and then all the other players who are considered low-skilled are mainly filler. And the supply of filler players likely outweighs the demand by a significant amount.

I suppose anything beyond that is covered by existing labor laws, and it looks like the next step is in the courts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Total <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBDraft">@MLBDraft</a> bonus spending is $267,351,610. Breaks record, set last year, of $248,831,830.</p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) <a href="

">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Or an average of 167 thousand per draftee. Plus the monthly stipend until they quit or make it big.

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="754084848998940672" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Or an average of 167 thousand per draftee. Plus the monthly stipend until they quit or make it big.

Average of $167k, but the median is probably, what, $30k? I'd guess that the first 30 picks get close to $100M(?) while the top five rounds probably get 80% of the bonus money.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

MLB would be largely unchanged if each team had half as many minor league players. There would be an expansion of independent ball to fill in where teams disappeared. I think inertia is the main reason we have the current Rookie, short-season, low-A, high-A, AA, AAA setup. Most players would be just fine if there were just 2-3 tiers and a bunch of assorted indy leagues of varying quality. The world wouldn't blow up if the best players on Aberdeen, Delmarva and Frederick were on one team and the Orioles didn't own 38 Tucker Nathans.

You trust this guy?

If X number of minor league teams are valuable to player development, then MLB will support that number of teams.

You trust this guy?

If X number of minor league teams are valuable to player development, then MLB will support that number of teams.

But we don't know that. All we know is that in the distant past teams got by with no affiliates. That rapidly grew to a situation where the Cardinals had 44 and the Senators one. Then stabilized into 7-8 for almost everyone. That's probably a compromise between cost and developmental needs and markets that can support teams and build taxpayer financed stadiums and other factors.

But we don't know that. All we know is that in the distant past teams got by with no affiliates. That rapidly grew to a situation where the Cardinals had 44 and the Senators one. Then stabilized into 7-8 for almost everyone. That's probably a compromise between cost and developmental needs and markets that can support teams and build taxpayer financed stadiums and other factors.

I don't think I was clear: I think X is lower than the number that now exists. I don't know the number, but it seems clear that the O's and other teams don't really need all of the current rosters to develop players. Heck, there's no reason why MLB couldn't use the Arizona Fall League model and, gasp, have a full season league with teams composed of players from multiple organizations. You are totally correct, of course, that the current model is driven by many factors beyond what the MLB club really needs for development. A lot of towns/small and medium cities are willing to pony up money for a new or renovated ballpark, MLB clubs like to stake out territory and use minor league clubs for that a little bit, etc.

BTW, I love minor league ball and don't want to see fewer minor league teams, but I agree that MLB would be just as healthy with fewer teams. I regret that I don't live near a MiL team, although when I attend local games in the Texas summer league for college players I'm reminded that I live on the surface of the sun and maybe it's ok to just stay home and watch the O's while enjoying air conditioning. :)

You trust this guy?

It's just basic economics, you don't need to trust Manfred to understand that fringe baseball players don't earn more because their skills aren't as valuable.

You know, I love dinking around in Excel looking at baseball stats, but I wouldn't expect the the Orioles to hire me to their data team to run regression models on BABIP, and then demand they pay me a living wage. I know this because they advertise those positions on Fangraphs and they're unpaid. They have tons of people apply anyway because the supply is so low and it's basically a dream job for a baseball fan/stat expert. It's not different when you have a bunch of barely talented players that basically volunteer to play baseball for a living.

It's just basic economics, you don't need to trust Manfred to understand that fringe baseball players don't earn more because their skills aren't as valuable.

You know, I love dinking around in Excel looking at baseball stats, but I wouldn't expect the the Orioles to hire me to their data team to run regression models on BABIP, and then demand they pay me a living wage. I know this because they advertise those positions on Fangraphs and they're unpaid. They have tons of people apply anyway because the supply is so low and it's basically a dream job for a baseball fan/stat expert. It's not different when you have a bunch of barely talented players that basically volunteer to play baseball for a living.

Talent in baseball is distributed logarithmically. More-or-less. There is one Mike Trout, 50 guys as good as Adam Jones, 500 as good as Ryan Flaherty or Joey Rickard, 5000 as good as (pick org guy in Bowie), and probably 10s of thousands as good as the mid-range guy in rookie ball. Most of them at the low end aren't in professional baseball because there are only a few hundred teams and less than 10k jobs in the world. The economics make the supply of jobs much lower than the number of players, so anyone who isn't a MLB prospect gets weeded out, and if they won't an indy league job at $1000 a month they leave baseball. There are certainly many thousands of 33-year-olds with A ball talent who are now teachers and insurance salesmen and grad students and the like.

Is there a direct path from the mail room to the board room based on skill?

There are a lot of "respectable" professions that are extremely competitive and not everyone will make it. There are millions of artists, writers, and academics who did not make it through the system to full time employment. Some of those industries should be streamlined too, but I don't think they should be blown up if there are people out there who want to chase their dream.

There are a lot of "respectable" professions that are extremely competitive and not everyone will make it. There are millions of artists, writers, and academics who did not make it through the system to full time employment. Some of those industries should be streamlined too, but I don't think they should be blown up if there are people out there who want to chase their dream.

Very few "professions" where there are 700 jobs World Wide. Now internationally the net casts a larger paying net if the Asian leagues are included.

Very few "professions" where there are 700 jobs World Wide. Now internationally the net casts a larger paying net if the Asian leagues are included.

How about artist, musician, and novelist. Even if there are more jobs in these professions, there are more potential workers. I doubt the success rate is much better than minor league baseball player. Either way, you are talking very long odds of making it big, and no sure thing to end up gainfully employed based on your skill set. But people do give it a shot for a time while they are young (and there are industries built on exploiting them while they are doing so).

Archived