Poster Proposal - Brad Brach to the Phillies for Roman Quinn?

wildcard

Who are the targets on those teams for the O's?

Texas - Nomar Mazara, Joey Gallo, (forgot Lewis Brinson was traded), Eric Jenkins

Chicago - Jorge Soler, Albert Almora, Ian Happ, Eloy Jimenez

LA Dodgers - Trayce Thompson, Andrew Toles, Cody Bellinger (1B/OF), Alex Verdugo, Yusniel Diaz, Willie Calhoun (if moved from 2B)

That's not saying some of those guys come just for Brach, or vice-versa, but those are the young OF in general.

Texas - Nomar Mazara, Joey Gallo, (forgot Lewis Brinson was traded), Eric Jenkins

Chicago - Jorge Soler, Albert Almora, Ian Happ, Eloy Jimenez

LA Dodgers - Trayce Thompson, Andrew Toles, Cody Bellinger (1B/OF), Alex Verdugo, Yusniel Diaz, Willie Calhoun (if moved from 2B)

That's not saying some of those guys come just for Brach, or vice-versa, but those are the young OF in general.

Rangers relievers. Dyson, Diekman, Bush, Barnette, Claudio all have ERA under 3.41. Do you really think they will trade for Brach? That does not look like what they will do this off season. http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/article/205875396/rangers-seek-starters-1b-corner-of-in-2017/

Cubs: A lot depends on whether test re-sign Chapman. I think they will. No need for Brach if they do.

Dodgers: Spend money like its water. They have a lot of FA relievers. Could be a good fit depending on what they do.

Rangers relievers. Dyson, Diekman, Bush, Barnette, Claudio all have ERA under 3.41. Do you really think they will trade for Brach? That does not look like what they will do this off season. http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/article/205875396/rangers-seek-starters-1b-corner-of-in-2017/

Cubs: A lot depends on whether test re-sign Chapman. I think they will. No need for Brach if they do.

Dodgers: Spend money like its water. They have a lot of FA relievers. Could be a good fit depending on what they do.

The Giants would be a better suitor, as Brach could be their closer

Do they a right fielder to trade?

The guy I like for corner OF that I thought about via Britton is Jarrett Parker. Brach won't net Britton's return but you can still probably go for Parker + a top five organizational prospect, all of which are in the B range (Giants' farm system is currently mediocre). Their top prospect is IF Christian Arroyo who I like but doesn't have power. I also like pitcher Tyler Beede, a Vandy alum who is developing a two-seam fastball and projects as a starter.

The guy I like for corner OF that I thought about via Britton is Jarrett Parker. Brach won't net Britton's return but you can still probably go for Parker + a top five organizational prospect, all of which are in the B range (Giants' farm system is currently mediocre). Their top prospect is IF Christian Arroyo who I like but doesn't have power. I also like pitcher Tyler Beede, a Vandy alum who is developing a two-seam fastball and projects as a starter.

Doesn't sound like what I would be looking for for Brach.

Francisco Giants

by John Sickels @MinorLeagueBall May 10, 2016, 11:30am

The San Francisco Giants have promoted rookie outfielder Jarrett Parker to the major league roster. He created quite a stir when he came up last year and hit .347/.407/.755 in 49 major league at-bats. Let's take a look.

Pre-season take from the 2016 Baseball Prospect Book:

Jarrett Parker, OF, San Francisco Giants

Bats: L Throws: L HT: 6-4 WT: 210 DOB: January 1, 1989

2011: Grade B-; 2012: Grade C+; 2013: Grade C; 2014: Grade C; 2015: Grade C

No, Jarrett Parker is not going to hit .347 over a full season. He?s a lot more likely to hit .227 or .237, but that doesn?t mean he won?t have value. A second round pick in 2010 from the University of Virginia, he?s always had one of the best physical toolsets in the system with above-average power, speed, a measure of patience, and good defensive skills in the outfield. Contact troubles and problems with left-handed pitching held him back and indeed they were still evident last year, with a very high strikeout rate in both Triple-A and the majors. He slugged .569 in Triple-A against right-handers but just .394 against lefties. At age 27 he?s not likely to improve much beyond what he already is, but as a fourth outfielder/platoon player he should be a productive asset. Grade C+.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTARY

Parker was hitting .216/.310/.529 in 102 at-bats this spring for Triple-A Sacramento in the Pacific Coast League, hitting nine homers and drawing 12 walks but with 35 strikeouts.

The general view of Parker hasn't changed: his tools are solid in my view. and he's taken a step forward with power production over the last couple of years. However, his persistent issues with contact haven't disappeared and while he will draw a few walks, he is not going to hit for high averages on a consistent basis: last year's .347 was a small sample fluke.

Overall, Parker profiles as a fourth or fifth outfielder who will provide some occasional pop. That said, the Giants have a habit of getting good work out of players with similar assets. His ability to contribute something positive (especially in his late 20s) shouldn't be under-estimated.

This is closer to what I think the O's should be looking for:

Roman Quinn | Rank: 7 (Preseason: 7)

Team: Philadelphia Phillies ETA: 2016

Position: OF Age: 23 DOB: 05/14/1993

Bats: S Throws: R Height: 5' 10" Weight: 170 lb.

Drafted: 2011, 2nd (66) - PHI

Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 30 | Run: 80 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

When Quinn, a 2011 second-round pick of the Phillies from the Florida Panhandle high school ranks, has been on the field, he's shown the ability to be a dynamic catalyst. A variety of injuries, however, has made that difficult, hampering his development.

Over the past three seasons, the speedster has suffered a broken wrist, a ruptured Achilles, a torn hip flexor, and, most recently, an oblique injury, keeping him from topping the 100-game mark in any one regular season. Despite that, Quinn has reached the upper levels of the Phillies' system. Before the last injury, he was making excellent adjustments in Double-A, showing an ability to hit for average from both sides of the plate. He remains one of the fastest players in the Minor Leagues, one who is a major basestealing threat. Quinn moved from shortstop to center field in 2014, where his top-of-the-line speed plays very well. He's improved his routes and jumps as well, projecting as an above-average defender with a solid arm.

A full, healthy season is the most important thing for Quinn at this point. That should help him develop into an athletic leadoff hitter who will wreak havoc on the basepaths in Philadelphia.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=phi

If Quinn had been healthy his whole minor league career the Phillies probably would not think of trading him. It would be a gamble to trade for him but maybe a gamble worth taking. Especially when the O's have a guy like Brady to condition him and teach him how to play to minimize injuries.

If there is someone the O's can get that is better than Quinn I would like to know who it is.

Right - the question isn't so much whether the Orioles can use Quinn - rather, would the Phillies take Brach for Quinn+, and would you trust them to deal with Andy MacPhail?

For me, I'd be asking for Quinn + one other top ten organizational prospect (Jorge Alfaro, Dylan Cozens, Andrew Knapp). Quinn + Cozens could solve the OF problem together; Alfaro or Knapp would compete with Chance Sisco at C.

Archived