Roch: Another Awkward Kim Issue?

weams

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a lot of folks playing and watching would not agree with that sentiment.

I don't know, I just don't see anyone who gets excited over these games. Players may talk the talk, but is anyone really growing up going, "One day I'll be able to represent my country in the WBC!"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know, I just don't see anyone who gets excited over these games. Players may talk the talk, but is anyone really growing up going, "One day I'll be able to represent my country in the WBC!"

Apparently they mean something to Adam Jones and Manny Machado, and that is the problem. These are competitive guys. Manny is risking a $400M payday to play. His agent should be sued for malpractice allowing him to play..

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you are looking at this solely from the view of an American.  A lot of these countries appear to care a great deal.  South Korea and the Dominican Republic being two prime examples.

That same fervor does not appear to extend to team USA and its fans.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Apparently they mean something to Adam Jones and Manny Machado, and that is the problem. These are competitive guys. Manny is risking a $400M payday to play. His agent should be sued for malpractice allowing him to play..

How do you suggest his agent stop him?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think you are looking at this solely from the view of an American.  A lot of these countries appear to care a great deal.  South Korea and the Dominican Republic being two prime examples.

That same fervor does not appear to extend to team USA and its fans.

Perhaps, but it's our game and we have the MFL, not anyone else. At the end of the day, anything that could hurt the up coming MFL season is a bad thing, and if I was a player looking for a big pay day, I'd would avoid it like the plague.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but it's our game and we have the MFL, not anyone else. At the end of the day, anything that could hurt the up coming MFL season is a bad thing, and if I was a player looking for a big pay day, I'd would avoid it like the plague.

Not going to argue that.  If I was Manny for instance no way I would do it.  Not unless I could get some obscene insurance coverage deal.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I do know that I had a heck of a time rooting for Schoop and the rest of the Netherlands team last time around.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Korea always has a good team in the WBC.  It would be pretty cool to watch Kim lead that team.  It was really fun watching Schoop play for the Netherlands before he made it to the MLB.  I don't think it affects hitters as much as pitchers.  So far who do we have playing?

Machado- Dominican Team

Schoop- Netherlands

Kim- Korea 

Jones- USA

Givens- USA (is that official?)

Why is Manny playing for the Dominican team?  He was born in Florida, wasn't he?

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Why is Manny playing for the Dominican team?  He was born in Florida, wasn't he?

Even though Machado — who is off to the best start of his major league career after enjoying his best offensive season last year — was born and raised in Miami, he holds his Dominican heritage close to him. Machado’s parents and grandparents hail from the Dominican. Machado said on Wednesday that he wanted to play for the Dominican Republic so he can represent his family.

The rules for playing in the WBC are not as stringent as say running for president.

From what I have seen Givens is official.  I suppose enough talented relievers could agree to participate so he gets lost in the number crunch but I think he is likely to be there.

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

"One day I'll be able to represent my country in the WBC!"

"Wow. I mean, you just nailed it. You just hit it on the head. You're saying I need to get back on top again. Yeah, man. I got to remember that I'm a winner, man. I need to remember that I AM better than everybody else."

3 minutes ago, weams said:

"Wow. I mean, you just nailed it. You just hit it on the head. You're saying I need to get back on top again. Yeah, man. I got to remember that I'm a winner, man. I need to remember that I AM better than everybody else."

I'm a driver, I'm a winner, things are gonna change, I can feel it.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The rules for playing in the WBC are not as stringent as say running for president.

From what I have seen Givens is official.  I suppose enough talented relievers could agree to participate so he gets lost in the number crunch but I think he is likely to be there.

But:

We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end?

stripes3.jpg

Nobody cried when Old Yeller got shot? I'm sure.

A few points:

1) Spring training lasts as long as it does FOR THE PITCHERS.   It is already too long for the hitters, they do not need that much work to get ready.   And this year, because of the WBC, spring training has added an EXTRA WEEK.   So I don't think missing a bit would hurt Kim.    Our first preseason game is on February 24, a full 38 days before the season starts.   Hitters don't need 38 days to get ready for the season.

2) The injury concern for the WBC is primarily for pitchers.   If a hitter is in the WBC, yeah, he could get hurt, but the chances of it happening aren't that much higher than of it happening in a Grapefruit League game, or even in practice.   Pitchers, on the other hand, use the entire 6 weeks of spring training to build their arms up for the season.   They throw in exhibition games for that purpose, and that purpose only.   So all of a sudden thrusting them into March games where they feel they have to really worry about getting the batter out, is really dangerous IMO.  

I would be really concerned about pitchers in the WBC, especially starting pitchers.   I have no concern about hitters who want to participate

Archived