2017 Attendance Thread

OFFNY

9 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Orioles only had 5 weekday games in July during the week. I know they were not playing well but drew 15,000,18,000,16,000,15,000 and 21,000. Not much better. The weekend series in August against the Tigers and Angels outdrew the Astros weekend series in July. That was because of giveaways. Not counting the Cubs series which drew well because they are the Cubs. 

I just think there is a lot of common sense with this. The season base is what around 10-12K or so? You can't expect individual buyers who can't afford or don't have the time commitment to buy season tickets to then go out and buy a bunch of tickets during the week. If they had the time and money they would already be plan holders. 

My wife works in Towson. Usually she gets out before traffic gets real bad but not always. I can't imagine after a long day at work O's fans in the DC area wanting to then fight traffic to make a game during the week. We live in the Baltimore suburbs but unless we are off work we don't during the week.

I mean we have all seen the same trends for years and they literally do nothing to address it, nothing. It drives me crazy and it isn't my money. It doesn't impact my ability to pay my bills. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

4-Game Set vs. BLUE JAYS ))))))) (August 31st, September 1st, 2nd, and 3rd)

13,802 )l) (30.0% Full)

16,627 )l) (36.2% Full)

14,815 )l) (32.2% Full)

l27,231 lll. (59.2% Full)

TOTAL )llllll.lllll.lll.lllllllllll.lll.lllllllllllllllllll)  72,475

4-GAME AVERAGE lllllll.lllll.llllll.ll18,119

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

4-Game Set vs. BLUE JAYS ))))))) (August 31st, September 1st, 2nd, and 3rd)

13,802 )l) (30.0% Full)

16,627 )l) (36.2% Full)

14,815 )l) (32.2% Full)

l27,231 lll. (59.2% Full)

TOTAL )llllll.lllll.lll.lllllllllll.lll.lllllllllllllllllll)  72,475

4-GAME AVERAGE lllllll.lllll.llllll.ll18,119

o

Weather didn't help but still bad. Obviously not many advance sales. I understand someone who thought about going not going on Friday and Saturday with the weather. 

On 9/1/2017 at 10:38 AM, eddie83 said:

I just think there is a lot of common sense with this. The season base is what around 10-12K or so? You can't expect individual buyers who can't afford or don't have the time commitment to buy season tickets to then go out and buy a bunch of tickets during the week. If they had the time and money they would already be plan holders. 

My wife works in Towson. Usually she gets out before traffic gets real bad but not always. I can't imagine after a long day at work O's fans in the DC area wanting to then fight traffic to make a game during the week. We live in the Baltimore suburbs but unless we are off work we don't during the week.

I mean we have all seen the same trends for years and they literally do nothing to address it, nothing. It drives me crazy and it isn't my money. It doesn't impact my ability to pay my bills. 

My season tickets are in section 56.  The guy who sits next to me, who usually comes with his dad, comes from DC for all of the games.  He's in his seat by the 1st innings, maybe the top of the 2nd, depending on how well the line going in from Pickles progresses.  I usually get to the stadium around 5 pm for BP- I work in Annapolis and live further south, so I prefer to leave and beat traffic and hang out at the stadium- but I know a lot of people work a standard 9-5 and that's really hard for them to make weekday games.  

The thing is, you have to do things to bring people in.  Dollar dog nights, which some professional teams do.  The Nats do $5 at $5 promotion, where you buy upper level reserve tickets for $5 at the box office.  With $10 parking on-site, you can not beat $15 to get into the game, and this allows you to walk the whole concourse and upstairs, sit wherever right now.  The Orioles giveaways have gotten better over the past couple seasons, but they still aren't drawing people in like they should, with only t-shirts and other things happening on weekdays.  Most of the t-shirt days, we don't even draw enough to reach the number of shirts available.  

I also think they need to get more creative with their STH options, and provide better benefits.  The Pirates have 82, 41 and 19 game packages.  With at least the first two, you get the chance to get on the field, stretch and hit BP out of the cage and you can explore the dugout and field the balls people are hitting.  They still allow early access to the left-field bleachers for STHs.  What benefits do 82 and 29 game STH's have?  Guaranteed playoff seats, dollar for dollar exchange, since restored club level access before games and a solid, unspectacular STH appreciation day.  If I am spending 3 grand, which I am for season tickets, there needs to be a whole lot more that comes with it.  

EDIT: And with the Redskins, you get points for special experiences, like being on the field for warmup, being in the tunnel when the team comes out, attending the post-game press conferences, etc.  Points come from attending games, buying your tickets early, doing surveys, etc.  I would even be OK with some sort of value system like this. 

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Weather didn't help but still bad. Obviously not many advance sales. I understand someone who thought about going not going on Friday and Saturday with the weather. 

Also, holiday weekend meaning people are out of town, also the start of the CFB season.  I almost got tickets for Saturday, but wasn't going to miss watching Michigan/Florida and Alabama/FSU. 

On 8/31/2017 at 10:32 AM, Going Underground said:

Down about 1,000 per game in attendance from last year. Sunday should be a decent crowd. Monday most of the bottom deck is gone. Brokers buy many of those tickets for the Yankees. Monday should be the biggest game attendance left for the year. Looks like around 2,1 or 2,2 million for the year.

The Nats, while drawing more than us, are also down in attendance as well.  Food for thought. 

17 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Also, holiday weekend meaning people are out of town, also the start of the CFB season.  I almost got tickets for Saturday, but wasn't going to miss watching Michigan/Florida and Alabama/FSU. 

Definitely people out of town. 

Weather killed any walk up on Friday and Saturday as well. 

25 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

My season tickets are in section 56.  The guy who sits next to me, who usually comes with his dad, comes from DC for all of the games.  He's in his seat by the 1st innings, maybe the top of the 2nd, depending on how well the line going in from Pickles progresses.  I usually get to the stadium around 5 pm for BP- I work in Annapolis and live further south, so I prefer to leave and beat traffic and hang out at the stadium- but I know a lot of people work a standard 9-5 and that's really hard for them to make weekday games.  

The thing is, you have to do things to bring people in.  Dollar dog nights, which some professional teams do.  The Nats do $5 at $5 promotion, where you buy upper level reserve tickets for $5 at the box office.  With $10 parking on-site, you can not beat $15 to get into the game, and this allows you to walk the whole concourse and upstairs, sit wherever right now.  The Orioles giveaways have gotten better over the past couple seasons, but they still aren't drawing people in like they should, with only t-shirts and other things happening on weekdays.  Most of the t-shirt days, we don't even draw enough to reach the number of shirts available.  

I also think they need to get more creative with their STH options, and provide better benefits.  The Pirates have 82, 41 and 19 game packages.  With at least the first two, you get the chance to get on the field, stretch and hit BP out of the cage and you can explore the dugout and field the balls people are hitting.  They still allow early access to the left-field bleachers for STHs.  What benefits do 82 and 29 game STH's have?  Guaranteed playoff seats, dollar for dollar exchange, since restored club level access before games and a solid, unspectacular STH appreciation day.  If I am spending 3 grand, which I am for season tickets, there needs to be a whole lot more that comes with it.  

EDIT: And with the Redskins, you get points for special experiences, like being on the field for warmup, being in the tunnel when the team comes out, attending the post-game press conferences, etc.  Points come from attending games, buying your tickets early, doing surveys, etc.  I would even be OK with some sort of value system like this. 

You make some good points. In this day and age you do need to do more to take care of your season ticket holders.

The fact that the Orioles let you switch games is awesome. Reason why I have a 13 game plan. That is one big postive.

The lack of season base really hurts. There is more that they can do. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

You make some good points. In this day and age you do need to do more to take care of your season ticket holders.

The fact that the Orioles let you switch games is awesome. Reason why I have a 13 game plan. That is one big postive.

The lack of season base really hurts. There is more that they can do. 

Yes, the painful lack of value, aside from the dollar for dollar exchange, which I love, really hurts them, especially when we all have to choose where we put our money and folks are being very careful with their disposable income.  As a new home owner, I likely have a choice on my Redskins and Orioles tickets- I may have to dump one, or change up seats at either one for cheaper ones, which I don't want to do but it's something I have to decide this winter.  

I'm also afraid it's not going to get better.  I've heard from a trusty source that when teams are traveling next year, they will get an afternoon game.  So its no longer the choice of the home team to offer a getaway game, but something that will be mandated by MLB.  While I like day games, I can't help but think the 29 game holders are going to be hit with a large number of those games. 

15 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Yes, the painful lack of value, aside from the dollar for dollar exchange, which I love, really hurts them, especially when we all have to choose where we put our money and folks are being very careful with their disposable income.  As a new home owner, I likely have a choice on my Redskins and Orioles tickets- I may have to dump one, or change up seats at either one for cheaper ones, which I don't want to do but it's something I have to decide this winter.  

I'm also afraid it's not going to get better.  I've heard from a trusty source that when teams are traveling next year, they will get an afternoon game.  So its no longer the choice of the home team to offer a getaway game, but something that will be mandated by MLB.  While I like day games, I can't help but think the 29 game holders are going to be hit with a large number of those games. 

When the Steelers- who I can't stand - but respect have playoff tickets vs Miami selling for $10 on the secondary market that tells you it is a different time. 

We have long since reached peak attendance in sports. Still great attendance compared to the old days not saying that. 

MLB is trying to accommodate players travel better. Was from the CBA.

Seems to me across the board attendance is slipping.  NFL ditched the blackout policy. Ravens doing a bunch of make M&T better.  The Orioles have some ideas for down the road.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/season-preview-2017/bs-sp-orioles-special-section-camden-yards-25th-cover-20170317-story,amp.html

o

Speaking of attendance, the San Francisco Giants may become the first team ever to lose 100 or more games and draw more than 3 Million fans to their stadium for the season.

They are currently 54-85 (.388), which is on pace to go 63-99 overall. 

In 2012, the Chicago Cubs drew 2,882,756 while going 61-101.

o

On 9/1/2017 at 10:09 AM, eddie83 said:

I kind of disagree. I don't think the Yankees and Red Sox matter as much as they did years ago. Sure there are a lot of their fans around but as we can see the day of the week drives ticket sales. Now will Boston and NY help during the week, yes but it would be a bigger deal if they only came one series a year as opposed to 3. I think better marketing would help offset the loss of 12-13 NY/Boston games a year. I think when the team was bad that was when they needed the Yanks and Boston games more .

Sure does matter to the hotels, :clap::clap: resta-runts, bars, etc. As a "Floridian" now I book 4-8 weeks early  the Hilton or Hampton convention center hotels --as a Hilton Honors Club member (free).......... often get the Hilton (sauna, pool, jaqusi, B| view) --  for $99 - 110 includind fees, taxes, etc......... Hampton is usually about $10 less and includes "full breakfast" buffet, :D:clap: pool, jacuzi, etc.........Won't stay if more --- will airbnb it instead..... Lately, Toronto coming to town also causes "sell-outs" and/or higher prices closer you get to gamedays. O.o

HAPPY LABOR DAY

1 TEAM TO PASS FOR WC SLOT - DID I SAY  "IN BUCK I TRUST" --- EVER???

46 minutes ago, BoltonBob said:

Sure does matter to the hotels, :clap::clap: resta-runts, bars, etc. As a "Floridian" now I book 4-8 weeks early  the Hilton or Hampton convention center hotels --as a Hilton Honors Club member (free).......... often get the Hilton (sauna, pool, jaqusi, B| view) --  for $99 - 110 includind fees, taxes, etc......... Hampton is usually about $10 less and includes "full breakfast" buffet, :D:clap: pool, jacuzi, etc.........Won't stay if more --- will airbnb it instead..... Lately, Toronto coming to town also causes "sell-outs" and/or higher prices closer you get to gamedays. O.o

HAPPY LABOR DAY

1 TEAM TO PASS FOR WC SLOT - DID I SAY  "IN BUCK I TRUST" --- EVER???

Lets just take a momrnt and thank the Balt. crappy neighborhood KIDS for GIVING UP --  functioning neighborhood Pools, use of rec centers, etc. etc, etc...... So the Hilton could be built 10 years ago  w/City Money :x :ph34r::ph34r: (300 MILLION, bonds) - included $60 million "reserve cushion" to pay down bonds of in case of "lack of revenue".....(MR HILTON - hotel mgmt. makes money, employs some folks @ 9-10 per hour... Woo Hoo!! :clap::clap:     Some mgrs. make a bit more. BTW, the 60 mil ran out 3 years into the venture - now the CITY justs AUTOMATICALLY GIVES (line iten for you acountants)  $10-15 million in TAX MONEY TO STAY SOLVENT.

And swimmimg alone w/grandkid most summer sfternoons in the nice big HILTON indoor pool is great - .....Grandson says, "Why can't we invite some of the neighborhood kids to join us?" :o Nobody else is usung this nice big heated pool, jacusi, sauna exercise rooms w/latest equiptment, free business center wcomputers for our 1% ERS........"

"POLITICS, MONEY, Kickbacks (see Dixon) GREED, CORUPTION,"  I attempt to respond. HELP ME OUT HERE FOLKS!:|

Archived