Mike Wright Destroyed Again

weams

by Ian Locke

The Gwinnett Braves pounded out 17 hits and plated 15 runs – the first seven of which came with two outs – in a 15-2 win over the Tides Tuesday night at Harbor Park.

Norfolk starter Mike Wright (0-1) retired the first six batters of the contest before running into trouble in the third frame, as Gwinnett strung together five hits – including four consecutive two-out singles - to jump out to a 4-0 lead. The Braves tacked on another run against Wright in the fourth inning on a two-out single to extend their advantage to 5-0.

Wright allowed five runs on eight hits over 4.1 innings, striking out four without walking a batter. He threw 85 pitches in the game, which was his 12th career start against Gwinnett.

After Norfolk pulled to within 5-1 in the fifth inning on an RBI single by Logan Schafer, Gwinnett upped its advantage to 7-1 in the sixth frame on a two-run, two-out homer by Lane Adams off of Zach Stewart.  Adams later added a three-run homer in the ninth inning to cap a 4-for-5, six RBI night.

Gwinnett starter Aaron Blair (1-1) limited the Tides to one run on three hits over 5.0 strong innings of work. He struck out six and walked three while throwing 52 of his 94 pitches for strikes.

Paul Janish doubled home a run and drew a walk to lead the Tides offense, as he’s now reached base safely in all five games he’s appeared in this season. Janish has hit .429 (6-14) with a .579 on-base percentage thus far.

• 3 weeks later...

Wright had another mediocre outing today.    He only allowed 2 runs in 5.2 innings, but allowed 11 baserunners and threw 105 pitches.    

It's a bit bizarre that Wright had a 2.22 ERA at Norfolk in 2015, 3.07 in 2016, and yet is at 5.79 now.     That's what you call regression!    Is he hurt?    Has he lost his confidence?    Has he lost some of his stuff?    Is he "working on things" at the club's direction?   In any event, it's not pretty.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wright had another mediocre outing today.    He only allowed 2 runs in 5.2 innings, but allowed 11 baserunners and threw 105 pitches.    

It's a bit bizarre that Wright had a 2.22 ERA at Norfolk in 2015, 3.07 in 2016, and yet is at 5.79 now.     That's what you call regression!    Is he hurt?    Has he lost his confidence?    Has he lost some of his stuff?    Is he "working on things" at the club's direction?   In any event, it's not pretty.   

Repita Senor: bullpen.

Good questions. Watching him is on par with watching Ubaldo. You gotta think his 40-man spot is very precarious.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do some athletes find themselves unhappy with an organization and then just put forth mediocre effort (or tank) with hopes of being released and thus given a "change of scenery"? I have no idea if this is the case or if this is even a thing (I feel like Jake's situation was different - was pitching coach and philosphical differences)? I'm just wondering if he's wanting to go to a place where he's actually wanted and there's a clear line of advancement to the Majors). Just pure wild speculation, not based on anything other than he's a complex guy.  

18 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Do some athletes find themselves unhappy with an organization and then just put forth mediocre effort (or tank) with hopes of being released and thus given a "change of scenery"? I have no idea if this is the case or if this is even a thing (I feel like Jake's situation was different - was pitching coach and philosphical differences)? I'm just wondering if he's wanting to go to a place where he's actually wanted and there's a clear line of advancement to the Majors). Just pure wild speculation, not based on anything other than he's a complex guy.  

It's plausible.    I doubt he's tanking, but nobody does their job as well when they're unhappy.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It's plausible.    I doubt he's tanking, but nobody does their job as well when they're unhappy.    

I guess he's allowed to be unhappy (he is, after all, not pitching well). He's had a very clear path to majors though. He's been in the rotation in Baltimore several times and not once was he demoted because there wasn't room for him.

Huh? There are some really sharp posters in this thread, but you guys honestly think Wright is not giving his all? Come on, please. That's insanity.

The Orioles thought so much of Wright last season, they jettisoned Gonzo (great move, huh?). This season, they all but prayed for him to win the last spot (he stunk up the joint). He has been giving every opportunity few can dream of in the majors for a spot in a major league rotation.

He has failed at every turn. It isn't for lack of trying, I am sure. He needs to probably go to another organization (not saying he has Jake Arrieta stuff, but similar change of environment might help) or he needs to clear his head in the  bullpen. 

I know Frobby and I disagree on this issue, but I think a switch to the bullpen may allow him to relax a little and find some new perspective.

Regardless of your opinion on what Wright needs, he isn't trying to be bad intentionally, That is insanity. Few pitchers could wish for such opportunities. 

3 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I know Frobby and I disagree on this issue, but I think a switch to the bullpen may allow him to relax a little and find some new perspective.

We actually don't disagree about this.    Wright's failed as a starting pitcher.    Moving to the bullpen may help him.    I'm just less confident than you that it will work,   But there's no harm in trying it.   

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Isn't Wright the guy Brady fixed because the previous pitching coach had screwed him up?

I fear the day that Brady Anderson is in charge of the O's

I had never heard this, Is this true? Why in the world is Brady coaching starting pitchers?

I have been saying for years Brady's role in this organization is puzzling at best.

5 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I had never heard this, Is this true? Why in the world is Brady coaching starting pitchers?

I have been saying for years Brady's role in this organization is puzzling at best.

I thought his whole thing was strength and conditioning. "The Brady Workout". There's nothing wrong with having him work players out; I sincerely doubt the Orioles are having him "coach pitchers" beyond weightlifting and cardio.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wright has turned things around lately, 7 ER over 24.1 IP in his last 4 starts.    Tonight, 7 IP 2 ER.    His overall ERA is 4.29, not too bad considering how he started the year.   

Glad he's turning things around. Maybe he can help in the pen. I'm hoping we don't need him in rotation this season.

Archived