3rd Round Pick - 2B Jerome Hoes - HS

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why take someone who is evaluated at having not one plus tool? Above average in several but not one real plus. In other words, his highest potential may be a league-average second baseman.

That's just not true. His tools are above average. Give the guy a chance to play before you reduce him to league average. I don't think he's a perennial All-Star, but the guy does have talent.

L.J is a great player. I played against him regularly at the high school level and he makes everything look effortless. Real glad we took him, he will be a solid player because he has a good work ethic and a lot of talent. He comes from a good background to. Overall, solid, very modest player and I'm expecting big things from him. He has al ot of raw power as well. I could see him hitting 15-20 hr's in the bigs, assuming he makes it.

The only Washington-area high schooler selected yesterday was three-time All-Met L.J. Hoes of St. John's. Hoes, whose initials stand for "Little Jerome" in comparison to his 250-pound father, said that he was embraced and tackled to the floor by his father when they saw that he had been selected in the third round, 81st overall, by the Orioles.

"It was a really good feeling," Hoes said. "I'm very happy just to see one of my dreams come true."

Although he played third base and center field for St. John's, Hoes said the Orioles envision him as a second baseman and had him play that position during a workout Tuesday at Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

"It's not going to be too big an adjustment for me," Hoes said, adding that the Orioles plan to send him to Bluefield, W.Va., to play in the Appalachian rookie league after he signs a contract.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/05/AR2008060504146.html

“I was actually an Orioles fan to begin with,” Hoes said. “I remember everything from the Orioles games I went to. If I went to basketball or football game I would fall asleep, but not at an Orioles game. To be drafted by them, man, it’s just a dream come true.”

Hoes said he plans to sign a contract with the Orioles instead of fulfilling his scholarship to the University of North Carolina. After he signs a contract, Hoes expects to be sent to Bluefield, W.Va., to play in the Appalacian rookie league. “I fully intend on signing and starting my pro career as soon as possible.”

“He’s the best hitter I’ve ever seen,” St. John’s Coach Mark Gibbs said. “I played with a lot of good hitters and a lot of good hitters in college. To be able to consistently put the fat part of the bat on the baseball, I’ve never seen somebody do it better than him. He can just hit."

But the 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior was drafted as a second basemen instead of as a centerfielder, the position he primarily placed last year along with limited pitching.

Looks like we got ourselves a sign...

Source: http://http://www.digitalsports.com/article/id/29595/type/organization/typeid/10485.aspx

But the 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior was drafted as a second basemen instead of as a centerfielder, the position he primarily placed last year along with limited pitching.

The first page on this thread mentioned he was 5'10, did he grow? I think being taller would increase projectability!

Probably an editing error, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a high school grad experience some more growth over the next couple of years. And, it's not like 5'10" would be a problem for a second baseman.

Considering our current 2B man is around 5'7", I would say that you are correct...

Hoes was apparently at the Youse's Orioles game today getting some work in at 2B before the game but he did not play. He has now officially signed with the O's, as the Sun reported.

I've also been told that Avery was waiting for Hoes to sign before he did, so now that Hoes is signed expect Avery to follow very quickly.

Kevin Brady is also considering signing as he's on that same Dean Albany coached team but in all likelihood will end up as a sign-and-follow.

Hoes was apparently at the Youse's Orioles game today getting some work in at 2B before the game but he did not play. He has now officially signed with the O's, as the Sun reported.

I've also been told that Avery was waiting for Hoes to sign before he did, so now that Hoes is signed expect Avery to follow very quickly.

Kevin Brady is also considering signing as he's on that same Dean Albany coached team but in all likelihood will end up as a sign-and-follow.

Why would Avery wait for Hoes? Do they have history together?

Also, what do you mean by sign-and-follow? If you mean draft and follow, well that was eliminated with the deadline of Aug 15th.

Why would Avery wait for Hoes? Do they have history together?

Also, what do you mean by sign-and-follow? If you mean draft and follow, well that was eliminated with the deadline of Aug 15th.

Sorry, meant draft-and-follow.

There's a draft-and-follow deadline? Maybe I'm not using that term right either lol. I just mean that he will likely attend Clemson but our connection with him to Albany now and us drafting him in the first place just provides communication between the two and if, say, he's in the 5th round range after his junior year at Clemson, I think he'd be extremely likely to sign with us if we pick him. It's just establishing a connection. Now remind me, what does actual draft-and-follow mean?

I'm not sure why Avery waited for Hoes, but my guess would just be to establish a financial baseline. Both had nice scholarships to universities, but the O's were very generous with Hoes, giving him a bonus around $700K, so if the O's gave Avery something similar between $700k and $1 mill, he'd likely sign, and I'm hearing it should be soon.

Archived