3rd Round Pick - 2B Jerome Hoes - HS

Really they are trying to maximize his bat. They see a future .300 hitter, but with average power at best. At the high end of his power potential is 15-20 homers but most likely he will be around 8-12 or so.

That plays at second base but is a little light anywhere else. Think Frank White...

Yup - from the Royals Baseball Academy. I'm just wondering why 2nd base; rather than SS - where they could take advantage of his arm strength.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you see someone we drafted who is probably in that category?

If I were a kid, I wouldn't like that much. I'd just go to college or a juco and hope for better.

Brady, Martin, Landers, and Bundy all come to mind...

Just read this kid can throw 95 mph...nice

Yeah, he seems to be quite the athlete. In addition to his otherworldy batting numbers at St. John's, he also put up these not-too-shabby pitching stats:

2-0 with 3 saves and a complete game

26 2/3 IP

26 K's

7 BB

1.35 ERA

.111 BAA

I think the game just comes natural to this kid. I really like the pick.

Meanwhile, outfielder L.J. Hoes, a third-round pick out of St. John's High in Washington, visited Camden Yards today. He's supposed to join the Gulf Coast League team in Sarasota, Fla., tomorrow and play second base.

"It's something that I'm looking forward to," he said. "I grew up playing infield, so it really won't be that big of an adjustment. I think if I work hard and I have the right approach to playing the game every day, I'll learn and make the adjustment."

Hoes passed up a scholarship to North Carolina to sign with the Orioles.

"It would have mattered if it was another team," he said. "It was a tough decision because North Carolina is a great school, but just to be drafted by the Orioles is a great experience for me. I'm a hometown kid. I grew up watching the Orioles. When they drafted me, it was a dream come true."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-osnotesb614,0,273774.story

Really they are trying to maximize his bat. They see a future .300 hitter, but with average power at best. At the high end of his power potential is 15-20 homers but most likely he will be around 8-12 or so.

That plays at second base but is a little light anywhere else. Think Frank White...

Good info, Tony -- but Ruzious makes a good point as well. If his power plays at 2B, wouldn't it play at least as well at SS?

• 2 months later...
Good info, Tony -- but Ruzious makes a good point as well. If his power plays at 2B, wouldn't it play at least as well at SS?

The easy answer is with hitters like Castro, Fahey, Bynum, and L. Hernandez all ahead of him at SS what real chance does he have there over the next 10 years. They are all legit power hitters.:P

My guess is his foot speed/quickness is probably not there. I haven't seen him so I don't know for sure, but since the Orioles are not trying him there it would tell me they don't see that as a long term possibility.

The easy answer is with hitters like Castro, Fahey, Bynum, and L. Hernandez all ahead of him at SS what real chance does he have there over the next 10 years. They are all legit power hitters.:P

You would think they also may want to minimize the distractions that could come from learning to play SS in order to allow him to focus on his bat. If he can become the heir apparent to Roberts in 4 or 5 years, I think we'd be quite happy with our 3rd round pick.

Archived