Adam on the Buck/Dan relationship

wildcard

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would be interested to hear what the main "baseball decision" sticking points are between Dan and Buck. Taking out the Jays courting Dan thing for a moment, what actual baseball stuff do they disagree on? 

Several of the current players would be my guess.  

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, sure. But what would be so bad that they barely speak to each other?

I feel like Sisco could be an interesting one next year.  I'm pretty sure Dan doesn't weigh Sisco's arm as heavily as Buck.

I think they mostly make a good team, and divides are mostly minor.  The way I see it, in simplest terms - Dan is Fangraphs/Moneyball, and Buck is old school.  If we could have read Dan's mind for an hour in Toronto a year ago, we'd probably have a better idea the width of the gap - both are solid professionals and I don't expect much ever to get out publicly.

Francisco Rodriguez was one a few years back - I think Dan thought he was providing a perfectly good reliever, and Buck didn't like him.  Ibid Kim.

Before Schoop, I thought Yamaico Navarro was in Dan's mind a 2B who could hit some that just didn't pass Buck's muster.

I think that there is a disconnect between Buck and DD. I would like to know how much input Dan takes from Buck when constructing the team. 

There is no way that This team plans to reload and go all in for 2018 and not upgrade the SP significantly. Also they need to balance out the lineup. The days of Davis batting 4th and 5th should be gone. He can bat 8th and prove he belongs up in the lineup like Schoop. 

My biggest fear is this team goes dumpster diving to “reload” in the AL East and we watch Manny walk at the end of the year and get left with marbles because we were to afraid to commit big money or trade for a haul. My hope is Buck gets to call most of the shots this offseason. 

28 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Fear is not the reason for putting all your $$$ in three or four baskets.  The financial restraints of a Mid Market team have more to do with it than Fear. IMO

If this is directed to me I also don’t agree with putting the money into a few pieces. I actually think they should trade him before losing him for nothing. Obviously they deserve a complete haul of prospects. 

14 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

If this is directed to me I also don’t agree with putting the money into a few pieces. I actually think they should trade him before losing him for nothing. Obviously they deserve a complete haul of prospects. 

Not directed to you in particular.  Just my opinion of the state/fate of the Orioles as far as the salary structure of the team.  An all in for a single year with a high payroll can be done but to have the top end be unsustainable because of a few for a three to five year (or longer) span would not work.

I am actually mixed on trading Britton (low return unless he proves to be healthy), Machado (who replaces him), Jones (he is a Five/Ten player and could hold the team hostage) or Schoop (still two years of control).  The return would need to be as close to a guarantee that the Orioles would be competitive in a two year window or allow the cards (Pujols) to play themselves out.

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

Not directed to you in particular.  Just my opinion of the state/fate of the Orioles as far as the salary structure of the team.  An all in for a single year with a high payroll can be done but to have the top end be unsustainable because of a few for a three to five year (or longer) span would not work.

I am actually mixed on trading Britton (low return unless he proves to be healthy), Machado (who replaces him), Jones (he is a Five/Ten player and could hold the team hostage) or Schoop (still two years of control).  The return would need to be as close to a guarantee that the Orioles would be competitive in a two year window or allow the cards (Pujols) to play themselves out.

I’m with you! I just don’t see how they can logically make a run this year without handing out some hefty contracts to some SPs. 

3 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I’m with you! I just don’t see how they can logically make a run this year without handing out some hefty contracts to some SPs. 

Every year there are several 4 and 5 pitchers that get Non-Tendered because of cost (arbitration).  I do believe that this is how pitchers with upside can be signed to smaller type contracts with incentives.  A four or five year pitcher with a track record coming off a down year happens to get DFA'd or non-tendered every year. 

Archived