Jordan talks about his 2008 draft class

Arrieta has a 2 seamer, 4 seamer (up to 95), plus slider, change (to lefties) and an occasional curve. I'd say he has #1 stuff.

I think Arrieta has the potential for number ons stuff, but has to improve the command of those pitches.

BTW, an occasional curve is not what a #1 pitcher has. A number one starter has at least three plus pitches that he can command to go along with the intangibles like mound presence, heart, and the desire to want the ball in big games.

I like Arrieta a lot and think he already has a lot of those intangible qualities the the makings of those plus pitches with command.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Arrieta has the potential for number ons stuff, but has to improve the command of those pitches.

BTW, an occasional curve is not what a #1 pitcher has. A number one starter has at least three plus pitches that he can command to go along with the intangibles like mound presence, heart, and the desire to want the ball in big games.

I like Arrieta a lot and think he already has a lot of those intangible qualities the the makings of those plus pitches with command.

Arrieta's is more of a FB/slider pitcher so the curve ball isn't that necessary. He's almost like Guts in that regard so you're right in that he projects as a 2/3. Now if that curve becomes something he can throw 5-10 times a game then watch out.

As for Tillman, has his slider progressed at all? I know he has the nasty spike curve, but to be dominant he needs to refine the slider. Also what's his change looking like? Does he ever throw a 2-seamer?

Are you thinking the future rotation would be in this order (1-2-3):

Matusz

Arrieta

Tillman

I'd put Tillman ahead of Arrieta, but the lefty, right, lefty order works better.

• 2 months later...

As talented as these guys are, I doubt if you'll see any of them next year, at least not out of the gate.The closest are Tillman and Hernandez, but both still have control/command issues.There's no way I'd throw them to the wolves they way we've had to do with other young pitchers.

Archived