Winter Meetings 2017

weams

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Yankees are trying to help the O's out by signing Boone.  He has never managed a pitching staff to not wear it out.

You know why they hired an inexperienced guy like Boone, and why 5 of 6 teams who changed managers added a first time MLB manager? Front Offices are trying to avoid things like what is going on with the Orioles where there is a pretty significant divide between the GM and the manager on personal and player usage issues.

FO are moving in the direction of trying to have more control over in game decisions as well. So they hire new managers who have playing experience (so players will buy in) who they can use to implement analytically driven player adjustments and in game decisions.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

You know why they hired an inexperienced guy like Boone, and why 5 of 6 teams who changed managers added a first time MLB manager? Front Offices are trying to avoid things like what is going on with the Orioles where there is a pretty significant divide between the GM and the manager on personal and player usage issues.

FO are moving in the direction of trying to have more control over in game decisions as well. So they hire new managers who have playing experience (so players will buy in) who they can use to implement analytically driven player adjustments and in game decisions.

Agreed.  But will it work?  Hasn't worked for Billy Beane.    He has been into advanced analytics for years and he runs the games from  being the GM.  But then again, Billy has no money.

Did the front office write out the lineups for AJ Hinch?  I am asking.  I don't know the answer.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Two is probably not enough.   Castro has not pitched more than 80 innings per season in his career.   Ynoa  had a 5.25 ERA last year at AAA.   Wright is probably not a starter in the majors.  

I’d rather sign two good/decent starters than three mediocre ones.    I’m OK with leaving one spot open to competition for guys who are not established, if the other four spots are solid.   

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yankees are trying to help the O's out by signing Boone.  He has never managed a pitching staff to not wear it out.

I don't know.  It is a bold move to say the least and it could certainly backfire.  But personally I think it is brilliant and while I am certainly not in the majority, I don't think Im on a deserted island either....

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21639956/boonie-ready-do-great-job-yankees

3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

sorry: seven losing seasons in an eight-year span that included three consecutive 100-loss seasons

Not all of that was necessary to the rebuilding process.   It took them several years to realize rebuilding was in order.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather sign two good/decent starters than three mediocre ones.    I’m OK with leaving one spot open to competition for guys who are not established, if the other four spots are solid.   

Look at the starter innings that are needed.  Probably around 900 for a successful team.   Might be hard to get that many inning if the 5th starter is not ready to pitch 160 innings.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Look at the starter innings that are needed.  Probably around 900 for a successful team.   Might be hard to get that many inning if the 5th starter is not ready to pitch 160 innings.

Which is something your Mr. Chatwood has never done. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How many teams have five starters throw 160 innings?   Last year there were 60 pitchers in all of MLB who threw 160+.   That’s two per team.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How many teams have five starters throw 160 innings?   Last year there were 60 pitchers in all of MLB who threw 160+.   That’s two per team.    

Well they better be #6s and #7s that can eat some innings.  The O's don't have those either.

17 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I'd gladly take 7 or 8 years of losing for a World Series Championship. 

That's a tough thing to do with the Nationals less than 40 miles down the road and the possibility of a huge payout due to them over the MASN dispute. The Orioles feel the need to attempt to put an entertaining and competitive product on the field each year, and that feeling is completely understandable.

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well they better be #6s and #7s that can eat some innings.  The O's don't have those either.

I think they have those guys (Hess, Long, Ynoa) this year, I think I’d be nice to fill out a rotation and let those guys be long relief/depth if possible.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think they have those guys (Hess, Long, Ynoa) this year, I think I’d be nice to fill out a rotation and let those guys be long relief/depth if possible.

Really?  You are ok with starting the season with those three.  Ynoa had a 5.25 ERA at AAA   Hess and Long have never pitched above AA and we don't even know if Long will be in the O's organization after the Rule 5 draft.

I'd at least like to have someone that had success at AAA.

Archived