Fanfest

Going Underground

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Number5 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but this event is mostly for and about the kids, IMO.  To me it is just sad if players like Machado and Schoop don't consider the importance of that.  Hey, if both or either have a true unforeseen personal emergency or crises that caused them to regrettably be unable to attend, that's understandable.  If not, shame on them.

I'm with you, I've always felt that FanFest is for kids. That's why both of them skipping the event bothers me. As I get older, I find myself questioning why I care about the Orioles so much - they're ultimately just a bunch of millionaires who I have no personal connection to playing a kids game.

I always justify my fandom with what the O's mean to the community and how a team can create excitement and unity amongst people of all different ages, backgrounds, and viewpoints.

So, when two players bail on a feel-good-community-event like this  - at least for me, it really exposes the Orioles for what they truly are: a money-making organization of millionaires who could care less.

In an obvious time of need, Manny and Schoop tell fans, "Drop dead." Get rid of both of them, if there are teams interested in these two prima donnas. And with Davis pulling double diaper duty and Britton not cleared to fly, Adam Jones will be the only member of the original "core"  in attendance at Fanfest. Adam Jones is the star all players should aspire to be, on and off the field. The window for that core is shut tight now.

We've gone from "We Won't Stop" to "Who Are You?" They should just play videos from the glory days and give away photos of Brooks, Frank, Earl, Cal and Eddie. 

Such a shame it's come to this.

16 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

You Don't expect CD to be there. Just had twins. 

The twins were born Tuesday morning. He could fly up in the morning, spend a couple of hours at Fanfest, and be home for dinner. That's what you do when your team pays you $23 million a year. His family can spare him for 10 hours.

9 hours ago, Justinlstn said:

I feel sorry for all the fans who had plans to see manny and schoop tomorrow. I get it they are probably doing it to make a statement to the front office but like always the fans are hurt by all this. 

Root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.  Lifelong (50+) Os fan here.

In the end, 98% of these guys are just paid mercenaries and have no real appreciation for the fans in any particular city that pay their salary.  There are some exceptions, but exceptions they are and they are very far and few between.

With kids, I know this can be a tough experience.  I was a big Eddie Murray fan growing up.  But this is a teachable moment about how these guys have no real stake in the relationship with the fans and the city.  And that for the right amount of money, they will play for anybody and anywhere.  And that is not a criticism of the players.  It is the way the business is set up (and before free agency, the owners had too much control).  It is good work - if you can get it.

Although I think the organization is going somewhat sideways this off-season, and would like to see some changes in the front office/ownership, I will be rooting for the 2018 Orioles regardless of who is on the lineup card.  I don't expect any of the players to care about, much less reciprocate,  my emotional attachment to the Orioles.  And likewise, when they depart, I won't care about them, either.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

In an obvious time of need, Manny and Schoop tell fans, "Drop dead." Get rid of both of them, if there are teams interested in these two prima donnas. 

Such a shame it's come to this.

I 100% agree. I know some fans feel like athletes can just do as they please, but not in this case. This is a once a year planned event for the fans, especially the kids. It's pretty clear the two best buds decided to protest the front office by not showing up at Fanfest.

F 'em. I want players on our Baltimore Orioles to at least have some respect for the fans that support them. 

I remember back in the day attending an event at a local store to meet and greet some Orioles stars. I waited in line for 2 hours to meet them. Well, at noon time the Orioles players said they needed a lunch break and us kids would have to wait another hour. All the players but one left for lunch. That player? Brooks Robinson. I never forgot that. 

I admit it, I'm getting old. I'm so sick of these millionaire divas playing team sports today. They have no loyalty to the city or fans that watch them. Sad.

Schoop and Machado are gifted athletes but are selfish too.

Archived