What is Dan Duquette doing?

oriolediehard

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Since hearing rumors/reports of Peter Angelos's reduced involvement or non-involvement in the team, I've been concerned that the Orioles' ability to move forward might now be paralyzed by a new decision-making vacuum, in which Duquette is (or believes he is) limited in his authority to make major roster changes; Peter Angelos is unable to approve moves; and his sons are unwilling to put their stamp of approval on any significant decision, and in particular on any change in direction or overall change. Operating on inertia is not a formula for success for any team, but certainly on one that's playing like, and has as many non-productive players as, this one.

I don't see how the current mess is going to get cleaned up without new ownership that is willing to hire and rely on smart baseball people to run the team. Even then, contending in the AL East with a diminishing fan base, the burden of the Davis and Trumbo contracts, and very limited access to international talent will be a real challenge. 

Yes, this is what I'm worried about as well. This organization needs direction.  Right now there doesn't appear to be any long-term vision.  Hopefully this will change throughout the course of this year. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/19/2018 at 10:50 AM, Emory Eagle said:

Yes, this is what I'm worried about as well. This organization needs direction.  Right now there doesn't appear to be any long-term vision.  Hopefully this will change throughout the course of this year. 

I think DD is sitting on his ass biding his time till he is out of this wacky doodle organization. I don't blame him one bit. Buck, Brady are acting like his bosses. So it seems. Working for Angelos would be horrible. I'd run from that organzation so fast the hounds couldn't catch me. 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, wildbillhiccup said:

Maybe they view this as his prison sentence for the whole Blue Jays situation. Rather than fire him, they made him a lame duck GM for the last two years. 

I hope this isn't the case.  We're already looked at askance by players who have pre-existing injuries.  What medical might pop up?  And furthermore, I just hope they aren't that vindictive.  It makes for bad relations.

He did pretty well finding talent that meshed with McPhail's acquisitions. 

The Angeloses are lawyers.  Lawyers SUCK.  They see the world differently than normal people.  If it ain't illegal it's ok.  Well... no.  You can still be a douche.  Don't be a douche.  I hope they haven't been douchie to him.  But I wouldn't put it past them...

On 4/19/2018 at 11:50 AM, Emory Eagle said:

There hasn't been long-term vision ever since Duquette tried to bail on the O's and jump ship to the Blue Jays. Ever since he essentially punted that offseason (with the star acquisition being Travis freaking Snider), he's essentially been mortgaging the farm and future and focusing largely on non-dynamic players who are defensive liabilities but can hit homers. He's been hardpressed to repeat the success of the 2012 season when he actually helped the SP. The SP has been mediocre at best most years and has been near historically awful other years.

Archived