Suprising Off Limit Player

weams

Baseball America had him in their top 20 NY/Penn league prospects over Lowther and Hanifee. So people like him.

I’m not as high on him, and I’ll explain why in detail as I do my top prospect countdown.

An interesting aside from the BA top 20 NY/Penn league list is they asked a scout about Hunter Harvey (who didn’t pitch enough to qualify for the list) and the scout said if he was eligible he’d be #1 (over McKay who is probably a top 100 guy).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notice that the O's have quietly gathered up an interesting stable of lefties:  Bishop, Lowther, Wells, DL Hall, Akin, and arguably Tanner Scott.  In past years, I'd have to reach and mention guys like Lee and Means - no longer - though I did kinda mention them right there.        

1 hour ago, weams said:

It turned out that everything was in close enough. MLB just wanted to poke the Orioles for a week. I remember when Scott Boras hung up the phone on MLB when he had run out of time to get Pedro Alvarez' paperwork in. The whole process of notarization and faxing in documents leaves much to be desired. 

the whole world is using DocuSign now, you think they would join the 21st century.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

There are those senior to Duquette in the organization who, I would be willing to bet, are not conversant with Fangraphs.

And probably shouldn’t need to be, if they let their baseball guys do their jobs.  

14 minutes ago, esmd said:

Interesting.  Looks like he's proven everything he can at Aberdeen.  My guess is he starts off the season at Delmarva, or do you think they might jump him straight to Frederick?

Per an interview Luke gave last week: “Could possibly make the jump to A+ ball, but most likely will start in Delmarva.”  http://notesfromthesally.com/2018/01/11/previewing-the-2018-delmarva-shorebirds/

Great article, by the way.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per an interview Luke gave last week: “Could possibly make the jump to A+ ball, but most likely will start in Delmarva.”  http://notesfromthesally.com/2018/01/11/previewing-the-2018-delmarva-shorebirds/

Great article, by the way.

Thanks! I think Baumann, Bishop,  and Lowther could all handle the jump but there is going to be a logjam in the Frederick rotation especially if Sedlock repeats (I don’t think he will).

Harvey, Wells, Dietz, Peluffo, Humpal and Lowther is how I’d guess right now with Harvey and Peluffo piggy backing to control innings for Harvey.

Then Delmarva would be something like Baumann, Bishop, Hanifee, Hall, and Vespi and perhaps Yelin Rodriguez. 

22 hours ago, esmd said:

Interesting.  Looks like he's proven everything he can at Aberdeen.  My guess is he starts off the season at Delmarva, or do you think they might jump him straight to Frederick?

Well I guess that will depend on who's doing the assigning. I know that Brian Graham is not a fan of jumping college pitchers over Delmarva from Aberdeen. Saying that, Delmarva could be in a crunch for rotation spots with Hanifee, Lowther, Bauman, Bishop, Fenter and Hall all needing places to start next year at a minimum. My guess is Lowther will get jumped to Frederick if they all come out of spring training healthy.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I guess that will depend on who's doing the assigning. I know that Brian Graham is not a fan of jumping college pitchers over Delmarva from Aberdeen. Saying that, Delmarva could be in a crunch for rotation spots with Hanifee, Lowther, Bauman, Bishop, Fenter and Hall all needing places to start next year at a minimum. My guess is Lowther will get jumped to Frederick if they all come out of spring training healthy.

This is a good insight.  I personally like the idea of being aggressive with college players as long as they don't have major mechanical issues that need correcting.

45 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

This is a good insight.  I personally like the idea of being aggressive with college players as long as they don't have major mechanical issues that need correcting.

I was going to quote the same line from that post. Definitely agree with an aggressive approach with most college guys.

11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I was going to quote the same line from that post. Definitely agree with an aggressive approach with most college guys.

Seems to me we’ve started numerous college guys at Frederick in their first full season — Akin, Sedlock, Gausman, Wright,  Matusz, Arrieta, Berken and Olson, to name a few.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

What's your point? 

Merely that, while Brian Graham may generally prefer to start college pitchers at Delmarva, the O’s do seem to look at it on a case-by-case basis.     I can’t think of any particular pitcher who started in Delmarva who really had a strong case for starting higher than that.    

As to your comment “it depends who is doing the assigning,” I have no idea who makes those decisions.    Do you have any insight into that?

Archived