Orioles fans wonder why Camden Yards' lineup doesn't include Wi-Fi

Going Underground

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's not covered well.  Very slow.  Too many people trying to use too little bandwidth.

I want to a couple games by myself last year and tried to get on the OH game thread between innings and it was not always easy.

Good thing "too many people" won't be a problem at OPACY this year.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's not covered well.  Very slow.  Too many people trying to use too little bandwidth.

I want to a couple games by myself last year and tried to get on the OH game thread between innings and it was not always easy.

I think it depends on your carrier.

I have AT&T service and have never had the slightest issue with signal or bandwidth at OPACY.

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

ning phones from concerts (Jack White comes to mind) and it's largely been met with resistance and ridicule. Younger fans will choose their phones over going to an event, and it's not a difficult decision. 

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The average age of a golf fan is 64, so that's the audience your appealing to with this strategy. For the rest of us (and I'm not even a millennial) you'll have to pry my phone from my cold, dead hand to get it away from me. 

It's not just sport's either. Some musicians have tried banning phones from concerts (Jack White comes to mind) and it's largely been met with resistance and ridicule. Younger fans will choose their phones over going to an event, and it's not a difficult decision. 

I have to say people are very annoying. If you are going to a concert why do you have to be on your phone the whole time.  A lot of people spend the whole concert filming the show.  What happened to just watching the show?  

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Then why even bring the kids to the game if they are going to be on their tablets and phones the whole time. Tablets don't require wifi to work.  Also giving a tablet or phone to a child when they are at an event seems like a bad way to raise your children.  I certainly would never do that.  If they find baseball to boring to sit through what happens when they go to school?

Why is it unreasonable for people to want to look at phones or tablets at the game? That doesn't mean they should be glued to them for three hours, but there are plenty of times at a baseball game where nothing is happening on the field -- between innings, pitching changes, replay challenges, etc. I look at my phone all the time when I go to games. Heck, a lot of times I look at Twitter on my phone to look up things about the game (like if there's a close play and I want to see what people who have access to a TV think, etc.). It's annoying when you can't connect to the internet.

Archived