Better Win Tomorrow

Aristotelian

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

How often do we see players like him get traded before July?

I doubt we see Machado moved before the All-Star break. 

You don't really see players get moved this early, but if I am a GM with a hole at 3b or SS and we're off to a hot start...I'm trying to make calls about Manny before others are.

13 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

Splitting or losing a series now is NOT AND OPTION if they want to climb back in it. Every split or lost series digs the hole potentially deeper, and quite frankly it's deep enough.

IT'S PUT UP OR SHUT UP TIME!

While this is true...I'm not sure I seem them climbing back in it. I'm typically a bit of an optimist, but his has been a horrid start and while you cannot win a division (or wildcard) in April, you sure can lose it and this is about as close to that as it gets.

A series win over Cleveland would give me a bit more hope though even at 8-15, the team would be well behind the eight-ball, but I expect them to be 6-17 coming out of it and that is the nail in the coffin (as sad as that sounds this early in the year).

19 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

Splitting or losing a series now is NOT AND OPTION if they want to climb back in it. Every split or lost series digs the hole potentially deeper, and quite frankly it's deep enough.

IT'S PUT UP OR SHUT UP TIME!

I agree, which is why it is unfathomable to me that Chris Tillman is starting tomorrow. Give me Hess or Bleier or someone. I know it's "only April" but we are already in a deep hole. We need to start winning games and Cleveland is going to sweep us if we're not careful.

Just now, jamalshw said:

While this is true...I'm not sure I seem them climbing back in it. I'm typically a bit of an optimist, but his has been a horrid start and while you cannot win a division (or wildcard) in April, you sure can lose it and this is about as close to that as it gets.

A series win over Cleveland would give me a bit more hope though even at 8-15, the team would be well behind the eight-ball, but I expect them to be 6-17 coming out of it and that is the nail in the coffin (as sad as that sounds this early in the year).

Very well could be, I never said they were going to climb back in it I have the same doubts.

Just my luck too, I root for and like the damn Orioles, gees since I was a kid in the 60's so damn it I am stuck with them, it's too late for me to change teams now. xDB|

8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

A series win against Cleveland would piss me off, honestly.  It's weird, I'm not rooting against the Orioles but I feel that if they take 2/3 or even sweep it's just going to delay the inevitable.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

A series win against Cleveland would piss me off, honestly.  It's weird, I'm not rooting against the Orioles but I feel that if they take 2/3 or even sweep it's just going to delay the inevitable.  

Delay how? You think this series is going to determine whether the Orioles blow up the team?

1 minute ago, PaulFolk said:

Delay how? You think this series is going to determine whether the Orioles blow up the team?

Yeah.   I think they're going to look for every possible angle to sell the fan base that this team was just in a funk and can compete.  

I can see Jim Hunter on Sunday being like "Well hold on Bird fans...this series might just be what was needed to turn things around!  This is a veteran ballclub that has had some bad breaks and now they have some momentum headed into next week....."

It's the 10-game homestand moreso than the Cleveland series that I'm looking at as something between a tourniquet and a death stroke.  If we turn 1-3 vs. Cleveland into a 6-4 homestand next week, that would get us to 7 under .500 before the short trip out West followed by another long homestand against bad teams.  Split the West, and go 6-2 the following homestand, we're back within 3 of .500 before we try Fenway again in mid-May, at which time Cobb should be out of Grapefruit mode.  As brutal as the schedule has been, it gets very easy after the Indians, at which point the job will be to demonstrate we don't yet belong among the worst teams in baseball by trouncing some of them.  Kind of like the Tigers just did.

Yeah we're in a big hole but not done yet. I see no sign that we are turning it around but easily could do it. We won 96 games in 2014 with a 5-13 stretch in May. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're going to do it, but I'm definitely still hopeful that we will. It is completely different than last year where I looked at every pitching matchup and thought "we're done". I look this year and think we could get this one, outside of Tillman tomorrow. The offense has been the disappointment, obviously. Cobb doesn't concern me, yet. I'd like to see Hess and Scott up, Harvey in June if he's doing well, perhaps Stewart, Hays. If we got Britton and Schoop back healthy that would be huge. I was HOPING for a 7-10 start on Opening Day, didn't think we could manage that and we didn't, and didn't look good doing it. However, we aren't dead yet.

Archived