Return on Investment

JR Oriole

I am 43 now and so the Orioles won the World Series when I was 8.  Sadly, I really don't remember much about that year and I think that is often the case when you are that young.  Since that time, we have seen 25 (!!!) other franchises win pennants and 20 of them win the World Series.  We have made only 5 playoff appearances in what will be (counting this year) 35 seasons, with our last win in an ALCS game coming over 20 years ago....an entire generation.  So this got me to thinking of the Orioles as an investment....an investment of our time, our money, our energy, emotions, etc.  For many of us (even those of us who are more readers than posters), we put so much into caring about this team.  And for many, the return on our investment has been really poor.  If you are 40 or younger, you really wouldn't even remember 1983 at all. 

So while I find this team almost disgusting to watch because they are so inept and hopeless (from the top on down), what makes it that much worse is the relative lack of real success for such an extraordinarily long period of time.  Had they won a championship in 2012 or 2014, this wouldn't be nearly as bad.  Not even close.  Now, I would love to just see a complete reboot on this team....all the way from the warehouse to the clubhouse.  I literally don't care who we trade, release, fire, etc....as long as we don't continue to do nothing.  Lose 100 games for a lot of years like the Astros but have a plan and then win a title....I'll take it!  Sign me up. 

I know that the Orioles are not a stock and there are no guarantees in sports.....you put your heart into a team and you hope that things work out for you.  But if the Os were a stock, the ROI would be horrific.  It just makes me wish that after all of these years, we as a fanbase had been rewarded for our loyalty and investment with something more than what we have received.  Especially now as we head into what looks like another really long abyss. 

6 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I am 43 now and so the Orioles won the World Series when I was 8.  Sadly, I really don't remember much about that year and I think that is often the case when you are that young.  Since that time, we have seen 25 (!!!) other franchises win pennants and 20 of them win the World Series.  We have made only 5 playoff appearances in what will be (counting this year) 35 seasons, with our last win in an ALCS game coming over 20 years ago....an entire generation.  So this got me to thinking of the Orioles as an investment....an investment of our time, our money, our energy, emotions, etc.  For many of us (even those of us who are more readers than posters), we put so much into caring about this team.  And for many, the return on our investment has been really poor.  If you are 40 or younger, you really wouldn't even remember 1983 at all. 

So while I find this team almost disgusting to watch because they are so inept and hopeless (from the top on down), what makes it that much worse is the relative lack of real success for such an extraordinarily long period of time.  Had they won a championship in 2012 or 2014, this wouldn't be nearly as bad.  Not even close.  Now, I would love to just see a complete reboot on this team....all the way from the warehouse to the clubhouse.  I literally don't care who we trade, release, fire, etc....as long as we don't continue to do nothing.  Lose 100 games for a lot of years like the Astros but have a plan and then win a title....I'll take it!  Sign me up. 

I know that the Orioles are not a stock and there are no guarantees in sports.....you put your heart into a team and you hope that things work out for you.  But if the Os were a stock, the ROI would be horrific.  It just makes me wish that after all of these years, we as a fanbase had been rewarded for our loyalty and investment with something more than what we have received.  Especially now as we head into what looks like another really long abyss. 

Angelos has had an excellent ROI on both the Orioles(173 million to 1 billion estimated valuation) and for MASN (which didn’t exist when he bought the team, and now provide 70 percent of its revenues to Angelos)

.We fans only be the customers...period. 

Haha good point.  Even though I am an accountant, I don't care at all about Angelos' ROI or how the Orioles did as a business.  That's not the ROI I worry about.  I'll let the people who are actually paid by the organization worry about their budget and finances.  That is meaningless to me.  All I care about is winning and titles. 

It is just entertainment.  If you are not entertained stop going to games and watching them on TV.   I went on Saturday and it wasn't Entertaining so probably won't go to many games this year.   

There is no investment. If they ever get to World Series again you can become a fan again on first game of the series.   

Archived