Constructing the roster this week and bringing some help (my ideas)

Legend_Of_Joey

It’s pretty obvious the big club needs help. A lot of help. Now, whether they have to sacrifice a whole chicken, stop stealing Jobu’s rum, or some non-Major League reference, they need help.

They do have this thing called a “farm system,” which actually has some players on it that can help (or atleast, can’t be worse than what they have currently.) If they were to make a bunch of moves to try and improve things, here would be my picks/

Major League Moves:

Gabriel Ynoa: Move from 15 day DL to 60 day DL. Frees up a 40 man spot. Ynoa has not thrown a ball yet due to shin splints and, naturally, a shoulder issue.

Colby Rasmus:Move from 15 day DL to 60 day DL. Frees up a 40 man spot. With his history of hip issues, give him time to heal up, don’t rush his rehab games, and evaluate him in the rehab games.

Chris Tillman: 1 more start. Yes, he has been bad, but his last start was an improvement. It’s not much, but 1 more start, then figure out what you want to do. DFA him and then sign him to a minor league deal would be my option, but until then…

Trey Mancini: Evaluate, evaluate, evaluate. He did “baseball activities” and pinch hit, but clearly wasn’t right. 10 day him if he isn’t healthy and let him rest. His health ranks over 1 win in the next 5 games. Plus with Alvarez, you can’t really afford another player who can’t play in the field (even if it’s for a limited time.)

Tim Beckham: Once evaluated, 10 day DL him after the way Buck was talking. Might be a blessing in disguise. I would send him to a few rehab games because he needs to get his bat going.

Now, as much as I would love to get rid of Sardinas and how much everyone wants to get rid of Santander, Joseph, Wright, and Valencia…They are needed, for now. Santander should go down once his time is up. Joseph is only here to be a veteran presence for Sisco. Wright is out of options and would be claimed, but the bullpen move could be good. If they are giving Tillman all these chances, Wright gets another shot. Valencia…Well, he might need to brush up his resume, but with Beckham going down, he gets a spot.  

Minor League Moves:

Corban Joseph: Add to 40 man roster and select his contract. The brother of Caleb, Corban has the hot bat in Bowie right now and can play multiple positions, including 3rd and 2nd. He won’t hit like Schoop, but he *should* provide a better glove than Vielma and Valencia. Who knows, his presence could re-energize Joseph too.

Engelb Vielma:[/b] Please do NOT call up! Him and Sardinas would NOT be a good bench or infield combo! He is doing ok in Norfolk but was awful in Baltimore.

Joey Rickard: Call him up. He has a hot bat now and can provide speed and defense. An outfield of Gentry, Jones, and Rickard can be good, as the two corners can cover more ground and take some pressure off Jones. You can also have one pinch run/replace Santander later in the game, especially if Mancini is healthy enough to pinch hit for him.

Josh Edgin: Add to the 40 man roster. Between him and Joely Rodriguez, Edgin is the one showing that the Spring wasn’t a fluke, going 2-0 in 5 appearances. He has 11 strike outs to 3 walks, but allows just under 1 hit an inning. The infield defense behind him hasn’t been good (Tejada, Vielma, and Sardinas are usually involved…) Could be a good shuttle player, much better than wasting space on Ynoa.

Obviously, there will be a lot of calls for Mullins, Hays, and/or Stewart. Mullins and Stewart would need to be added to the 40 and would only be here for a limited time for right now. Hays needs to continue working in Bowie as he struggled to start. All 3 could be up later this season though, just not right now. There isn’t really a spot in the outfield right now unless there are some injuries.

Same goes for Harvey, Hess, ect. I’ll do a thread later about players you’ll probably see up this season.

I would consider Susac for Joesph for 10 days.  

O's have Cobb and Tillman starting in the next three days.  If they both go deep in the games vs the Rays then Wright should be DFA'd.  Go back to 12 pitchers.   .  It getting to the point that the relievers are not getting enough work.   8 relievers will not be needed if Cobb and Tillman go deep. That is where I would add Rickard to play right and make Santander a backup.  Rickard can leadoff.

Corban Joesph is the next infielder up for me.   Have to see what happens with Beckham injuries vs DFAing  Sardinas.

Mancini needs to be playing as soon as he is healthy.  I would not DL him at this point.

I would DH Mancini. He had a pretty good AB vs Miller considering that first strike call was terrible. 

I like Ynoa to the 60 day DL. I’d send down an arm and call up Corban Joseph. 

Other than that, we are or we we are. Buck isn’t going to make a ton of changes. Tillman’s below average start likely earned him 2-3 more. Guys just need to start hitting. 

Archived