Fangraphs’ Edwards: O’s playoff chances are now 1000-1

Frobby

3 hours ago, HokieOs said:

The only Robinson I see the DBacks is OF prospect Kristian Robinson. He's listed as an other C+ prospect. If a C+ guy plus a couple of C prospects are the best we can do for Machado, that would be highly disappointing.

At just a quick glance, I'd want to start with perhaps Jasrado Chisholm along with maybe Taylor Widener or Matt Tabor and one other C prospect as a throw in. But frankly, I'm just spitballing a bit here.

If the Rangers can get a top 60 prospect plus other pieces for Yu Darvish, then the Orioles should get at least that much in return for Machado.  I would say Machado is worth at least a top 50 prospect as a rental, potentially more if a bidding war breaks out.  If we add a Willie Calhoun type of player, who is almost major league ready and will be put with the upcoming youth movement in the high minors, you have to make that deal.  Strengthen the upcoming core should be the highest priority.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Our owner will not okay any deal that he is brought. Something will be said about the fans deserving to see Machado play out the season for the Orioles.

This organization is getting just what it deserves right now. An empty ballpark.  

Well by just about all accounts the sons are running the show more than Peter himself now, so hopefully this ridiculous argument about a firesale being unfair to season ticket holders will finally go away.

18 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

As long as we're looking past the chance at going 16-5 in the next 21 games against the lighter schedule as 1000-to-1 says we should, I'll be the conductor of the Yandy Diaz train.

Indians are the best fit I can see - they have the brother-in-law, the old rotation that's never going to be any better than it is today, the mid-market revenues that aren't going to support retaining impending free agents Andrew Miller and Cody Allen and perhaps not either.  This year they are about as good as the Astros, Red Sox and Yankees, and that's something that may not be true again for a while.  Francisco Lindor's already reportedly turned down a $100M extension, so they have him three more arb years, after which Zimmer/Mejia/Ramirez/McKenzie is an okay core, but maybe not championship level.

I think Diaz can be the Chiseled Randy Milligan for a new generation.  He hits the ball hard, but on the ground all the time, so could improve (explode?) if he can ever get it in the air more.  He's 26 and in 1600 minor league PA has more walks than strikeouts and a 314/413/416 line.  He's a Cuban emigre who has been a little old for his levels, but I think he's one of the best hitters stuck in AAA.  He's off prospect lists as he has 156 MLB AB's.  Even if all he can do in his age 27-32 seasons is hit a Chance Sisco-y 270/335/390 - Sisco's current .333 OBP is 3rd on the team and, for the moment, 50 ahead of any other regular.  I'm not sure how he fields.

Nice as it would be, I don't think a true blue chip like Mejia is realistic for a rental, though I'd love to be surprised.  Diaz is a low enough profile that while he's my first target, you might be able to get the Indians to give another interesting player with him.

My guess is that Machado goes to the Indians for Triston McKenzie and some other guys. I think Mejia could be up on the big league club and contributing before July - so really doubtful he'd get moved.

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

If the Rangers can get a top 60 prospect plus other pieces for Yu Darvish, then the Orioles should get at least that much in return for Machado.  I would say Machado is worth at least a top 50 prospect as a rental, potentially more if a bidding war breaks out.  If we add a Willie Calhoun type of player, who is almost major league ready and will be put with the upcoming youth movement in the high minors, you have to make that deal.  Strengthen the upcoming core should be the highest priority.  

I think the O's will get something solid for Machado. It ain't gonna be nowhere near a Chapman-to-the-Cubs return, but it'll be fine. All of the "Machado has no value because he is a rental" stuff is hyperbole.

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

My guess is that Machado goes to the Indians for Triston McKenzie and some other guys. I think Mejia could be up on the big league club and contributing before July - so really doubtful he'd get moved.

If the Phillies or Braves stay competitive, any chance they try to trade for Manny?

41 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If the Phillies or Braves stay competitive, any chance they try to trade for Manny?

Yes.  For a robust Machado market, we absolutely want their surprise seasons to continue.

Remember when Alex Anthopoulos traded Noah Syndergaard for RA Dickey.  He's got some history as a blockbuster trader and if they stay in it this summer, they've stockpiled tons of stuff.  Their other option is going to Austin Riley once Bautista flops, but if they want to Acuna him and gain control of his 2024, then Machado is ideal for Atlanta.  As with many of the possible Machado fits, it works better, and maybe only works at all, if Manny's open to returning to 3B.

Also if we're trying to do the Mike Bordick thing and trade, then retain 6 months later, those are less scary places to park him for a try at 2018's championship.

I would also love to get to see Nick get to bat 7th and just be a cog in a deep October run.  Ben Zobrist has a World Series MVP, dontchaknow.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see it that way at all.   He did a three-year, team friendly extension and one thing he asked for was a no-trade clause.   He didn’t want to move mid-season for family reasons.    He had every right to enforce that clause.   

Absolutely right, and he caught flack from the Players Union over the team.friendly contract. Tben Angelos low balled.him.a second time and he listened to the NY whining and dining. The rest is history. The current problems are routed in PA s history.

Archived