Revisiting The Diamondbacks' Offer for Machado

wildbillhiccup

Anyone else appreciate the irony that Patrick Corbin, the alleged centerpiece of the Diamondbacks' trade offer for Machado, has basically turned himself into a no. 1 starter? I know the Diamondbacks were trying to move Lamb too (and rightfully so, he's terrible), but you have to wonder if they could have pried Ketel Marte away from them too. Hindsight's 20/20, but this team sure does seem to be terrible at evaluating talent. Like, really bad. Chris Davis (terrible), Mark Trumbo (terrible), Jimenez (terrible), Beckham (terrible), Santander (terrible), Tillman (terrible) and the list goes on and on. 

Patrick Corbin probably wouldn't be a #1 starter in the AL East. Or at OPACY.

Also, Beckham made us all really doubt if that acquisition was amazing or not for like a full month when he was absolutely raking last year. So you never know.

And Tillman didn't used to be terrible, he just flamed out young due to an arm injury.

I wouldn't get hung-up on Corbin.  He has other plans this offseason as a free agent, and may end up on the same team as ManNY in 2019.

Considering the Yankees were in deep trade discussions with the Diamondbacks during the winter for Corbin, and are doing everything possible to be under the $197 million luxury tax to hit the free-agent market with full force, and are badly in need of starting pitching, guess who’s a natural fit?

“It would definitely be great to play there,’’ Corbin says. “I grew up a Yankee fan. My whole family are Yankee fans. My mom, my dad, my grandpa, everybody. Really, every generation of my family has been Yankee fans.

“Living up in Syracuse, everybody’s a Yankee fan. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/04/23/patrick-corbin-diamondbacks-mlb-free-agent-class-2018-yankees/542538002/

But some Yankees people definitely did notice Corbin’s comments, and we’ll just say they were quite happy to hear that from the pitcher who’s been perhaps the best in the NL so far this season (4-0, 1.89 ERA, 48 K’s in 33.1 IP) following a great second half last year.

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/yankees/heyman-do-yankees-have-eyes-on-arizonas-patrick-corbin/

As a side note, Heyman has been more insufferable of late, if that is possible.  We're less than a month into the season and he's obsessed with trade possibilities for ManNY (ChiSox, Cubs) as well as where Bryce Harper and Clayton Kershaw will be playing next year.  Note to Heyman, the offseason is over, watch the games that are being played.

Archived