How do Davis, Alvarez and Trumbo coexist on the roster?

wildcard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

What does the roster look like after Schoop and Beckham return? My guess:

1B Davis/Trumbo

2B Schoop

SS Manny

3B Beckham

LF Mancini

CF Jones

RF Gentry

C Caleb/Sisco

DH Pedro/Valencia/ Trumbo

Bench

C

UTIF Pace

Santander? Rasmus?

Valencia

You have 15 players there.  Probably have to get it down to 13.  Santander is probably optioned.  Maybe there is an injury.

It will be the middle to the end of June before Beckham is back.

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Heretical stats:

Year|Days Trumbo Played Right Field| Orioles Wins

2016 95 89

2017 31 75

Heretical analysis: It doesn't matter who plays right field at Camden Yards. It matters if that person can hit. If Trumbo can out hit the other right field candidates, then I don't think the defensive downgrade at Camden Yards is  meaningful in the long haul. And Trumbo hit better as a right fielder than as a DH in '16 and '17. I would definitely stick Trumbo in right in Camden Yards and keep my fingers crossed. 

p.s. Trumbo's OPS as a RF in '16 was .888 and .876 in '17. Put him in RF. Fans will pull a handful of hair out once every week or two, but if he hits his offense will more than make up for the defense.

O's lost more than the won when playing in LAA and OAK in California.   3-4.   Trumbo didn't make them win there.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You have 15 players there.  Probably have to get it down to 13.  Santander is probably optioned.  Maybe there is an injury.

It will be the middle to the end of June before Beckham is back.

I counted Santander/ Rasmus as one. Still that's 14 so one of Santander/Pace/Rasmus/Valencia, has to go.

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I counted Santander/ Rasmus as one. Still that's 14 so one of Santander/Pace/Rasmus/Valencia, has to go.

It's so far out for Beckham that it's hard to anticipate. This type of thing has the tendency to work itself out, but assuming health of everyone else (if we can only be so lucky):

C- Sisco/Joseph (60/40 split)

1B- Davis/Trumbo (straight platoon)

2B- Schoop

3B- Peterson/Beckham

SS- Machado

LF- Mancini

CF- Jones

RF- Gentry/Peterson/Valencia/Trumbo (if he's hot with the bat and we can stomach the defense for a day)

DH- Valencia/Alvarez

That of course, isn't perfect given the OF situation, but if someone goes down between Valencia/Alvarez/Davis/Trumbo we can use the spot for an OF (Rickard, Mullins, Hays, etc depending on how each is doing in the minors). Or, if Valencia's bat goes cold or Trumbo is just terrible, perhaps one is released.

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's lost more than the won when playing in LAA and OAK in California.   3-4.   Trumbo didn't make them win there.

The Orioles have had a terrible record on the west coast for years. I would be pretty satisfied with a 3-4 west coast trip given the current state of the Orioles. That said, I specifically referenced Camden Yards regarding RF defense not being nearly as important as having a RF who can hit.  

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Right now Alvarez has a higher HR per at bat ratio than Trumbo or Davis had in their great seasons that got them big contracts...

I hear you, but I'm sure Davis had streaks with crazy high ratios in 2013 and other years. But it's fun to see Pedro getting it done. 

36 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It's so far out for Beckham that it's hard to anticipate. This type of thing has the tendency to work itself out, but assuming health of everyone else (if we can only be so lucky):

C- Sisco/Joseph (60/40 split)

1B- Davis/Trumbo (straight platoon)

2B- Schoop

3B- Peterson/Beckham

SS- Machado

LF- Mancini

CF- Jones

RF- Gentry/Peterson/Valencia/Trumbo (if he's hot with the bat and we can stomach the defense for a day)

DH- Valencia/Alvarez

That of course, isn't perfect given the OF situation, but if someone goes down between Valencia/Alvarez/Davis/Trumbo we can use the spot for an OF (Rickard, Mullins, Hays, etc depending on how each is doing in the minors). Or, if Valencia's bat goes cold or Trumbo is just terrible, perhaps one is released.

I doubt you see Valencia or Pace in RF. Need is for a LH bat to platoon with Gentry.

Archived