Palmer sounds like he's had enough.

Santandah

16 hours ago, atomic said:

Buck is an idiot.   The eye color thing is another form of racism.  I am sure there have been hall of fame players with green and blue eyes.   Hampton probably did worse in day games than night games because he stays out late partying.  

I think Buck is an intelligent guy, with a valuable set of skills he's developed over a long career in baseball. I don't think he's the right guy to be the manager of this team going forward, with all the changes that need to be made. At the same time, there are worse guys to succeed him in the dugout, ans I won't be surprised if the Orioles hire one of them.

I also think Buck operates in ways that make him ill-suited to be a general manager or to contribute much to a front office. The information and understanding about how to win ballgames, build a winning team, and project player performance have grown and evolved a lot in the past twenty years, and they continue to change. Buck's perspectives and opinions seem to have been formed long ago and not be subject to change, and I've seen and heard nothing to indicate that he's interested in absorbing , or adapting his views based on, new or emerging information, particularly where it might be at odds with his long-held beliefs.  I don't think that makes him an idiot, but for me it's disqualifying as a general manager. 

Buck does have something valuable to offer, and I could see him staying on as a consultant or advisor of some sort, who  provides the front office  -- not the manager -- with his thoughts about the Orioles ML and MiL players. My guess is that would not work out once Buck sees that decisions are made that are contrary to his advice, but it might if Buck were willing to try it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived