All Star Fanfest

Boy Howdy

Just got back from Day 3 of the All Star Fanfest at Javits Center, NYC

Former Orioles Earl Weaver, Robin Roberts, Luis Aparicio & Dick Williams were among the attractions on the free autograph list, but the line had a 4-hour estimated wait so I passed on that. Got in the much shorter line to score three autographs from veterans of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League instead.

Saw Jackie Robinson's daughter selling her book... Billy Ripken doing a XM radio show live, and listened in when Dick Williams stopped by for an interview.

mlb.tv had their own show going on as well, and I got on to ask a question of former O's GM Jim Duquetter and ex-White Sox hurler Jack McDowell. Apparently, Cal had been around as well, but I never saw him.

It's funny because I was there in my orange, throwback Ken Singleton jersey. When McDowell sees the #29 on the front, he starts guessing Jeff Ballard, his old Stanford teammate. A mlb.tv guy guesses Dick Hall later in the afternoon. Where is the love for sweet swingin' Kenny Singleton?

Many, many, many (almost too many) interactive things that I would've loved if I was still 12 or my daughter a little older.

Best part for me was seeing the minature Hall of Fame exhibit with one of Jim Palmer's caps mixed in with everything from Walter Johnson's jersey, Ty Cobb's glove and a Lou Gehrig hat. Most of the game-used Orioles stuff on sale and/or display was Cal. No surprise there. I nearly bought one of the "Baltimore" road jerseys with Brooksie's name and number, but $$$ were just too steep.

One exhibit was mind-blowing stuff up for auction that I had zero chance to afford. At least half a dozen signed Babe Ruth balls, trophies, uniforms, players contracts, photos...just happy to get an up close look.

Anyway, it's going on Monday & Tuesday too, so if you're near NY, I'd say it's absolutely worth the $25-$30 admission price. If you've got kids, allow plenty of time and they'll be thrilled.

Archived