Camden Depot: Baseball Cop

weams

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2018/09/former-mlb-doi-agent-eddie-dominguez.html

Baseball Cop is a new book written by the former Major League Baseball Department of Investigations agent Eddie Dominguez, a law enforcement veteran with a long and diverse multi-decade long career that spans from the Boston streets in local investigations to FBI work and to international investigations.  This work is part a biography and part a thesis in how MLB's DoI (largely established as an outcome of the Mitchell PED report) has evolved from a somewhat independent investigative unit to an extension of MLB's executive push at controlling public relations.  While the book is certainly tinged by Dominguez' need to validate his own perspective and his whole-hearted support of enforcement approaches, one cannot deny that his charge against MLB and their DoI program appears valid and needs further assessment.  His book includes many specific details that have been published before in articles and other books, which puts credibility to what he states.

4 hours ago, weams said:

Interesting read. Thank you for sharing that. I will pick up his book.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that PED's are still being used by many players out there. It has been told to me that several active players are still using them. I was told they openly speak about it amongst themselves and joke about it. I do not have any direct knowledge, or I'd be writing a book myself. I am told it is rampant in certain circles. And many of us here know it is likely true. Guys approaching 40 do not naturally have the bat speed that one Red Sox DH had at the end of his career. And there are many others. They know it, and MLB is doing nothing. It's all eyewash.

MLB seems, more outwardly than ever, to be spinning everything they can to appeal to the younger viewers, and to the inner city youth as well. All for more money. They realize that PED usage has made them a lot of money. I think they are back in the wink and nod mode, while they make money hand over fist. PED's extend the careers of stars, and help create new ones.

It's sad really. Our game is going the way of the NFL and NBA. America's pastimes are now video games, social media and gambling, not the great game of baseball. I guess it always was just about money. I was probably just naïve to the romantic notion that players and organizations actually cared about the competition and rivalries and such.

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Interesting read. Thank you for sharing that. I will pick up his book.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that PED's are still being used by many players out there. It has been told to me that several active players are still using them. I was told they openly speak about it amongst themselves and joke about it. I do not have any direct knowledge, or I'd be writing a book myself. I am told it is rampant in certain circles. And many of us here know it is likely true. Guys approaching 40 do not naturally have the bat speed that one Red Sox DH had at the end of his career. And there are many others. They know it, and MLB is doing nothing. It's all eyewash.

MLB seems, more outwardly than ever, to be spinning everything they can to appeal to the younger viewers, and to the inner city youth as well. All for more money. They realize that PED usage has made them a lot of money. I think they are back in the wink and nod mode, while they make money hand over fist. PED's extend the careers of stars, and help create new ones.

It's sad really. Our game is going the way of the NFL and NBA. America's pastimes are now video games, social media and gambling, not the great game of baseball. I guess it always was just about money. I was probably just naïve to the romantic notion that players and organizations actually cared about the competition and rivalries and such.

World Doping Authority made a move the same direction yesterday. 

49 minutes ago, weams said:

World Doping Authority made a move the same direction yesterday. 

I just read about that. Sketchy, at best, considering the Russian history in testing their athletes and certifying them. Does integrity exist anymore?

Archived