Question on Mountcastle

WarehouseChatter

How bad is his defense?  I’ve read about it here and there, but really - how bad is it?  Defense needs to be a key piece of the rebuild and I’m wondering where he fits in?  Will he be given a chance at 3B in the majors?  Can he be a corner OF?  Just projecting out one to two years and I’m wondering where everyone sees him at the major league level.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read one report from a credible source who thinks he can stick at 3B (2080 Baseball), but every other credible source I’ve seen thinks he can’t.   I think it would be a mistake to try to shoehorn him into that slot.    It will be interesting to see what the new front office does here.   

51 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Lot of great discussion on the topic from his prospect profile on the main board. Bottom line, if I can try to summarize and echo Frobby, is that most think it’s doubtful he can be a major league 3B.

I’m completely jumping the gun here, but do you package him with some veterans to get a more well-rounded prospect?  Someone will value his hitting over his defense.  I’m not saying to give up on the guy - just trying to think creatively.

I saw him several times this year at Bowie and he had some trouble getting the ball across the diamond to first base.  I wonder why the organization hasn't tried him at second base.  I agree it'snot time to give up on him but he does need to find a position to play successfully.

4 hours ago, WarehouseChatter said:

How bad is his defense?  I’ve read about it here and there, but really - how bad is it?  Defense needs to be a key piece of the rebuild and I’m wondering where he fits in?  Will he be given a chance at 3B in the majors?  Can he be a corner OF?  Just projecting out one to two years and I’m wondering where everyone sees him at the major league level.

It’s improved but he’s not going to be an average MLB defender at 3B.  He has good hands and enough range for the position, but his arm is not strong and his release is slow. The arm was extremely bad, but has improved. It’d still probably be the worst MLB arm at 3B.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:23 PM, Luke-OH said:

It’s improved but he’s not going to be an average MLB defender at 3B.  He has good hands and enough range for the position, but his arm is not strong and his release is slow. The arm was extremely bad, but has improved. It’d still probably be the worst MLB arm at 3B.

You, Tony and others have been consistent with this analysis, wonder if the O's decide this year is the year to start him in the OF and see if he can succeed there.  Would love to see him even just as an average OF with that bat. 

On 11/24/2018 at 11:52 AM, WarehouseChatter said:

I’m completely jumping the gun here, but do you package him with some veterans to get a more well-rounded prospect?  Someone will value his hitting over his defense.  I’m not saying to give up on the guy - just trying to think creatively.

No. Absolutely not. Not at all. That would be playing with fire. 

5 hours ago, murph said:

You, Tony and others have been consistent with this analysis, wonder if the O's decide this year is the year to start him in the OF and see if he can succeed there.  Would love to see him even just as an average OF with that bat. 

He is quite athletic. This is not an awkward dude with some power and a bit of a batting eye. He is a real athlete. 

54 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Wouldn’t he have more value at 2b than in the of? Especially with his bat and athleticism. 

Yeah, the move to 3B was at least partially a shoehorning to try and replace Machado, there was discussion within the organization about 2B at the time, but ultimately they chose 3B. The other concern was the adjustment to being on the other side of the infield, without the ball coming off the bat differently. I think there is a possibility of a Daniel Murphy type defensive profile there, fringe but playable and the bat would have significant value there. 

18 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, the move to 3B was at least partially a shoehorning to try and replace Machado, there was discussion within the organization about 2B at the time, but ultimately they chose 3B. The other concern was the adjustment to being on the other side of the infield, without the ball coming off the bat differently. I think there is a possibility of a Daniel Murphy type defensive profile there, fringe but playable and the bat would have significant value there. 

From your perspective, do you think Nunez is a better defender than Mountcastle?

22 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

From your perspective, do you think Nunez is a better defender than Mountcastle?

Yes, definitely. I think it’s possible that Mountcastle can be as good as Nunez when he’s Nunez’s age, but he’s not there yet, and very well may never be. Nunez’s arm is much better, but Mountcastle is better around the bag and has better hands. 

On 11/24/2018 at 12:02 PM, cboemmeljr said:

I saw him several times this year at Bowie and he had some trouble getting the ball across the diamond to first base.  I wonder why the organization hasn't tried him at second base.  I agree it'snot time to give up on him but he does need to find a position to play successfully.

+1. Worth a shot. It's not like Schoop was Robbie Alomar there or anything.

Archived