LJ Hoes back in the lineup today!

Big Mac

I know you were half-joking about Gwynn, but that is an unfair comparison at this point. Besides the fact that Gwynn was the best pure hitter to play in the last 25 years, he also had an incredible Line Drive rate (over 28% in his last full season, 1999, when he was 39 years old). Hoes' current LD rate is under 10%. But I gather your point was that good hitters with marginal power can play the OF. In any case, I still see Hoes with an Orlando Hudson-like ceiling offensively. How and where he ends up defensively is hard to say.

I wasn't half joking, I was fully joking, I would never compare a kid that graduated two months ago to a hall-of-famer. I think a Hudson ceiling is just as unfair a comparison. We just have no idea yet.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't half joking, I was fully joking, I would never compare a kid that graduated two months ago to a hall-of-famer.

Well, thanks for straightening that out :)

I think a Hudson ceiling is just as unfair a comparison. We just have no idea yet.
Maybe we're just arguing semantics here, but I have to disagree. There is a difference between trying to assess a young player's ceiling as opposed to how they will turn out. It's absolutely unfair to say Hoes will become another Gwynn or Hudson or even Bynum/Fahey. But anyone drafted in the 3rd round has been scouted extensively and has some kind of ceiling that can be measured, with a grain of salt of course. It's still subjective and not a science, but I don't think it's unfair to project a ML ceiling for a 3rd round draft pick, especially one who is showing good early signs as a pro.

Archived