2019 World Series (ASTROS vs. NATIONALS)

OFFNY

3 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Is it really luck for the Nationals at this point?  What have they played, .670 ball for the last five months?  Team is really good.  The difference has been that their cleanup hitter has come up with some massive hits in crucial situations and their opponents' clean-up hitters have collectively taken the month of October off. 

Baseball is a combination of luck and skillset. IMO

Usually in the big games, you live and die by your pitching.

It's interesting. I think my neighborhood here in Brooklyn likes the Yankees but not baseball.

First game of the WS and I was the only one at the bar who sat there for more than an inning or two. They said if the Y's had won the place would have been packed.

A rainy Tuesday, but still. It's not a hipster Brooklyn bar, but a working-class place modeled after one in Buffalo.

o

(GAME TWO)

As was the case in Game Two of their ALCS against the Yankees, the Astros will be looking to  Justin Verlander to help their team claim a much-needed win in Game Two after having dropped the series opener at home.

WASHINGTON NATIONALS

Trea Vance "T.V." Turner - SS

Adam Corey "A.C." Eaton - RF

Anthony Rendon - 3B

Juan Jose Soto Pacheco - LF

Howard Joseph Kendrick III - DH

Asdrubal Cabrera - 2B

Ryan Zimmerman - 1B

Kurt Suzuki - C

Victor Enrique Robles Brito - CF

Stephen James Straburg - RHP )) (18-6, 3.32 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the National League in Wins (18) and Innings Pitched (209)

HOUSTON ASTROS

George Chelston Springer III - CF

Jose Altuve - 2B

Michael Charles Brantley, Jr. - LF

Alexander Davis "A.D." Bregman - 3B

Yuliesky Gurriel Castillo - 1B

Yordan Alvarez - DH

Carlos Javier Correa Oppenheimer - SS

Robinson David Chirinos Gonzalez - C

William Joshua Reddick - RF

Justin Brooks "J.B." Verlander - RHP )) (21-6, 2.58 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the Major Leagues in Wins (21), WHIP (0.803), Innings Pitched (223), Hits Ceded Per 9 Innings (5.529), and Games Started (34), and Led the National League in WHIP (7.143)

https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

It's interesting. I think my neighborhood here in Brooklyn likes the Yankees but not baseball.

First game of the WS and I was the only one at the bar who sat there for more than an inning or two. They said if the Y's had won the place would have been packed.

A rainy Tuesday, but still. It's not a hipster Brooklyn bar, but a working-class place modeled after one in Buffalo.

Seems to be how the country is now. People love the local team but nationally it just doesn’t matter as much. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Seems to be how the country is now. People love the local team but nationally it just doesn’t matter as much. 

There was a NYT article a couple days ago exploring the question of whether baseball has a future or not. Their conclusion was that MLB was hyper-local compared to other sports. For instance, basically no one outside of Anaheim cares about Trout.  But they thought that localism coupled with a long season with lots of games could translate into a strength...money wise at least.

17 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

There was a NYT article a couple days ago exploring the question of whether baseball has a future or not. Their conclusion was that MLB was hyper-local compared to other sports. For instance, basically no one outside of Anaheim cares about Trout.  But they thought that localism coupled with a long season with lots of games could translate into a strength...money wise at least.

I saw that article. It makes a lot of sense. 

As far as the volume of games obviously  it will never happen but imagine a world where MLB only had 16 regular season games. The significance would be just like the NFL.

When you are watching your favorite NFL team at 1pm you are getting constant updates from around the league. Most games are all on one day. It’s an easy sport to follow. I think some fans have consumed so much they are worn out by the end of the year.