A look at every $100 mm+ contract: the good, the bad and the ugly

Frobby

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

When you do version 2.0 years from now, can you include the player's age when year one of the contract kicked in?

I’ll probably update this yearly.   I note that of the contracts I picked as the 5 best, four were signed when the player was still quite young: 

ARod I: 25 in first year

Trout I: 23

Cabrera I: 25

Pujols I: 24

Scherzer: 30

Scherzer has really defied gravity.   ARod, Cabrera and Pujols all later signed new contracts that were fairly disastrous (the latter two are arguably the worst ever).    We’ll see about Trout.

• Upvote 1

In the category of players who earned their contracts, here’s a few comments on the players where fWAR and rWAR varied a good bit:

- Derek Jeter was +$33 mm by fWAR, would be maybe +$6 mm by rWAR.    Either way, it’s hard to argue he didn’t earn his deal.

- Manny Ramirez was -$10 mm by fWAR, but would be about +$9 mm by rWAR.    Considering the team’s success in those years, I’m sure they’re satisfied.   

- Posey is already +$59.5 mm by fWAR with 2 years left on his deal, but would only be about +$14.5 mm by rWAR.

- Both Greinke I and Hamels were better than +$25 mm by fWAR, but would have been in the +$75-85 mm range by rWAR.

In the “earned his contract” bucket, only Ramirez goes from a deficit to a surplus based on which flavor of WAR you use.   The others are clear winners by either method, it’s just a matter of how much surplus there was.

I’ll comment on players in other categories in a separate post.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Posey is probably getting a huge bump in fWAR by the inclusion of framing metrics.

Yes, I think so.    In the years in question, he’s +53 in rSZ, which I believe is the framing metric that feeds into fWAR.   So that would be about 5 wins.