Astros Stealing Signs in 2017

TonySoprano

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I heard a horn on two pitches to the first two hitters in the inning, but I can’t say whether or not that was anything other than a boisterous fan.

What struck me was how consistently awful Jim Hunter is. He doesn’t get any better over time, or with distance from original date. 

He was stupefied to see an Astros fan and an Orioles fan walking together before the game. Really? MLB should really do something about boring announcers. Stealing signs? Meh....

It is very faint, you can only really hear it with head phones

Major League Baseball’s investigation into electronic sign stealing by the Astros:
“The fact that there’s apparently an investigation ongoing prohibits me from making any type of public comment about it. I was almost exclusively focused on the amateur scouting and the minor leagues, so I’ll leave it at that. But I can’t really talk on the issue because of the investigation.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/11/elias-provides-a-summary-of-the-gm-meetings-and-more.html

Apparently it was Kevin Goldstein (formerly of Baseball Prospectus) who suggested using cameras in an email.

Twitter appears to be losing it's mind over this thing, but I honestly don't get it. I'm more bothered by the Taubman incident and the team not allowing a credentialed media member into a press conference at the request of Verlander than this. Some people are acting like this is the worst baseball scandal. The rule prohibiting this wasn't in place until 2019. I agree it's shady and of questionable morality. I don't condone it, but I put more of the blame on the MLB for not adequately dealing with what seems to be a predictable problem, even after there were complaints about multiple teams doing this. 

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Apparently it was Kevin Goldstein (formerly of Baseball Prospectus) who suggested using cameras in an email.

Twitter appears to be losing it's mind over this thing, but I honestly don't get it. I'm more bothered by the Taubman incident and the team not allowing a credentialed media member into a press conference at the request of Verlander than this. Some people are acting like this is the worst baseball scandal. The rule prohibiting this wasn't in place until 2019. I agree it's shady and of questionable morality. I don't condone it, but I put more of the blame on the MLB for not adequately dealing with what seems to be a predictable problem, even after there were complaints about multiple teams doing this. 

It's been a problem for over a century. 

Up until a week ago everyone kinda shrugged at this type of gamesmanship.

Odd how mobs operate.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Odd how mobs operate.

Using your guile to steal signs while standing on second base is one thing.    Having a camera surreptitiously do it is another thing entirely.     I don’t think it’s the biggest scandal in the world, but it certainly should be stopped.     

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Odd how mobs operate.

I think the mob is being led by angry Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers fans. I shouldn't be surprised, there are a lot of those people. I'm just going to laugh when Manfred hands down a strict punishment and people praise him like he's not the actual problem here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Using your guile to steal signs while standing on second base is one thing.    Having a camera surreptitiously do it is another thing entirely.     I don’t think it’s the biggest scandal in the world, but it certainly should be stopped.     

I agree with that, there should have been a clear rule against it before 2019 and defined teeth for said rule. 

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't recall the book I read it in but the story is as follows.

Team getting shellacked is wondering why the opposing third base coach is standing with his foot in a puddle of water.  They dig up said spot to find that a device had been planted that sent electric signals to the third base coach from a  guy with binoculars out past center field.  The incident in question happened over a century ago.

This SI piece mentions that the Indians did something similar to the Astros in 59-60.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/13/sign-stealing-baseball-history