Projected Rosters-- Full Season squads

Enjoy Terror

POS        BALTIMORE          NORFOLK          BOWIE          FREDERICK          DELMARVA          ABERDEEN   

C              Severino                Wynns               Cervenka      Rutschman         Handley                 Yett

1B            Mancini                 Valaika              Palmeiro       Escarra                Daschbach           Herrera

2B            Alberto                  Herrera              Santiago       Hall                       Fregia                   Hernaiz

SS            Iglesias                 Martin                McCoy           Grenier                Ortiz                      Henderson

3B            Ruiz                        Bannon              Dorrian          Reyes                  Welk                      Putzig

RF            Santander              Diaz                    Jarrett           Neustrom           Stowers                Tavarez

CF            Hays                       Mullins               McKenna       Rizer                   Watson                 Fontana

LF            Smith Jr.                 Mountcastle     Nichting         Thornburn         Turchin                 Lewis

DH           Nunez                      Stewart             Cumberland  Curran                Encarnacion         Janvirn

Bench      Sisco                       Rondon             Valentin          Ferguson          Cespedes              Carmona

Davis                       Holaday            Ripken            Ogren                Torres                    Burgess

Williams                                            Billingsley      Roberts             Cannon                 Kehe

Urena

RZNJ - really good summary, here are some minor differences I have:

• Norfolk roster needs to include Valaika, so I guess 1B, even though that's not his natural position.
  • Cervenka should share C with Cumberland at Bowie.
  • Not sure what to do about Canelo, but I like Santiago at 2B in Bowie.
  • Have to have McCoy as a regular somewhere.
  • I think Dorrian beats out Reyes, who's kind of been spinning his wheels.
  • Welk won't make the big jump, unfortunately, to start the season.
  • Can't see Watson at Frederick yet until he makes more contact, so Thorburn (ugh) gets one more chance.
  • Curran is your DH at Frederick, he was born to DH.
  • Henderson and Hernaiz won't make the big jump either, so look for Fregia and Joey Ortiz at Delmarva.

POS          BALTIMORE          NORFOLK          BOWIE          FREDERICK          DELMARVA          ABERDEEN

SP             Means                    Akin                   Jannis           GrayRod               Stauffer                 Lyons

SP             Cobb                       Baumann          Sedlock         Wilson                  L. Rodriguez         Peek

SP             Wojo                       Wells                  Hall                Fenter                   Magee                   Brnovich

SP             LeBlanc                  Lowther             Bradish         Vespi                     Lucas                    Prizina

SP             Bailey                     Kermer               Hanifee         Rom                      Litscher                 Elliott

Zimmermann                           Peralta                   Conroy                  Zebron

RP             Harvey                   Tate                     Naughton     Bautista                Strowd                  Montgomery

RP             Rucker                   Mattson              Matson         Hammonds          McCarty                Farmer

RP             Carroll                    Alvarado             Hayes           Echevarria            H. Roth                  N. Roth

RP             Armstrong             Lakins                 Perez            Joyner                  Constante             McSweeney

RP             Fry                           Phillips               Burke            Knight                   Perkins                  Emund

RP             Castro                    Stewart               Jimenez       Bishop                  Hammer                 McGinness

RP             Bleier                     Cervenka             Gonzalez     Almengo               Gillespie                Stambaugh  

RP             Givens                   Sulser                   Erwin                                                                          Nolasco

RP                                             Scott                                                                                                         Pendergast

Comments:

• Really stacked, especially starters - so I think there will be some 6-man rotations.
  • Bleier has to be in there, I'm guessing both Rule 5's make it.
  • Not sure what to do about Hess, but I don;'t see any room for him barring injuries.
  • Scott has to be in AAA until he can control the incredible speed he has.
  • Jannis has to be included.
  • They just converted Vespi to a starter last year and he did well, I think he'll be in a rotation and not the pen.
  • Peek and Brnovih haven't played a professional game yes, so I have them at Aberdeen...plus, Delmarva's rotation is full.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

@Oldorioles Not that you are soliciting feedback, but here's mine:

I think DJ Stewart opens the year on the IL which gives a little roster flexibility.

I don't see Kohl Stewart going to the pen; rather I think it's more likely that one of Lowther or Wells is not promoted and Jannis is a bullpen guy.

I think Hess is probably a bullpen guy somewhere and has more value than a ton of the other 40-man Norfolk relievers. Like, I'd even give him a job over a guy like Hunter Cervenka.

Enjoy Terror - thanks for the feedback, it's always welcomed.  

RZNJ - I think we are of the same mind.  We love putting together this stuff, it's fun to guess.  I really enjoyed going through your list.  I'm sure there will be spring training injuries, etc., that we can't anticipate but I enjoy comparing my list to yours.  It's a fun exercise each spring.  

18 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

@RZNJ The only defense to many of those questions has more to do with "where are the people in front of them going to go". There's going to have to be some cuts to make any room.

You don't hold real prospects back in order to have room for organizational players. That makes absolutely zero sense.

• Upvote 2

Great work by everyone that made a depth chart in this thread.

I’m not too concerned with where you guys placed people, but am more concerned that this exercise points out the lack of position prospect depth we have. 

I like our our pitching depth minus adding 1-2 additional high end guys, but so does every team in the mlb. Our position depth is really thin. Meaning If we don’t hit on the young guys/prospects in AA-MLB, there is no next big wave of hitting prospects to come through. I’m sure the draft will help. 

Just a scary thought when you’ve accepted 2022, but realize that even then a lot of stuff has to go right. 

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

DSL players who perform well are likely to go to the GCL so even even Placencia stays after extended spring and makes the GCL team it's unlikely you'd see him until 2021 at Delmarva and that's probably a best case scenario, assuming he does well in the GCL.    Very few players go straight from the DSL to a full season team or even make one anytime during the next season.   I certainly don't know the stats but that's what I believe.

Just looking at the dozen or so foreign players under 20 years old in the Sally League last year, only one went from the DSL to the Sally without spending all or a major part of a season in US rookie ball.   There were a few of the under-20 group in the Sally who had played US rookie ball without ever playing in the DSL, however.    

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on the Depth Charts !

Lots of decisions for Elias.  Everything in flux.

Orioles:  I'd put Mancini in RF, Davis at 1B and Sisco to AAA to refine his swing.  Too much potential to not give him a shot at being the offensive Catcher he may be.  Outside shot for Mullins to be Bench OF, while Smith gets released or 5th OF'r until Steward back from inj. and rehab. Kohl Stewart is a high pedigree project and will got to AAA or even AA. Bailey or Rucker will be 5th SP.

AAA:  McKenna to AAA even if Mullins doesn't make 4th OF.  Note that DJ Stewart is IL and I believe he goes to O's after quick AAA Rehab. 

Frederick:   I love Welk at 3B and they will push due to Draft as college Sr. and lack of 3B options.  I also see Stowers in Fred. with Watson staying at Delmarva.  Gunnar's a top  prospect, I think they push to SS at Delmarva, with Hernaiz to Aberdeen.  Will play SS until he proves he can't imo.