32 Orioles Pitchers Who Started 10+ Games Last Decade

Frobby

I counted up 32 pitchers who started 10+ games for the O’s during the last decade.    Here they are, in buckets:

The 100+ Club

Tillman 193

Gausman 127

Chen 117

Jimenez 104

Bundy 103

The 50-99 Club

Gonzalez 95

Guthrie 64

Arrieta 63

Matusz 60

The 40-49 Club

Norris 48

Britton 46

Cashner 45

Hammel 43

Miley 43

Bergesen 40

The 20-39 Club

Hess 33

Millwood 31

Cobb 31

Hunter 31

Means 27

Gallardo 23

Wright 23

The 10-19 Club

Wilson 19

Simon 16

Wojchiechowski 16

Feldman 15

Ynoa 13

Ramirez 13

Brooks 12

Yacabonis 11

Garcia 10

Hellickson 10

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cy Young started 411 games in the 1890s.  Palmer started 352 in the 1970s.  

Steve Barber had 211 in the 1960s.  Hal Brown 77 from '54-59. McGregor 247 in the 80s.  Mussina 254 in the 90s.

Thanks, you saved me the work.    I was planning to look at who led the O’s in other decades.     It’s certainly no surprise that Palmer easily had the most in any decade, followed by Mussina.   I doubt I could have told you that McGregor was close to Mussina.   (I see that Cuellar also had 244 in the 70’s.)    Nor would I have guessed that Barber led in the ‘60’s, but that’s mainly because I wasn’t paying attention until 1966.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Thanks, you saved me the work.    I was planning to look at who led the O’s in other decades.     It’s certainly no surprise that Palmer easily had the most in any decade, followed by Mussina.   I doubt I could have told you that McGregor was close to Mussina.   (I see that Cuellar also had 244 in the 70’s.)    Nor would I have guessed that Barber led in the ‘60’s, but that’s mainly because I wasn’t paying attention until 1966.    

McGregor surprised me, since he was only good in the first few years of the decade.  His ERA+ was never 100 after '83.  I would have guessed Boddicker, but I forget he was an '83 rookie and was traded mid-year '88 so he only had 180 Oriole starts.

And... it wouldn't be me if I wasn't a bit more complete:

1870s: Bobby Mathews, 47 (all in '72)

1880s: Matt Kilroy, 233

1890s: Sadie McMahon: 225

1901-02: Joe McGinnity, 66

It would take much more effort to compile the minor league Orioles' numbers.  And the records aren't complete, so it's probably not possible with online sources.  Lefty Grove did start 154 games for the O's in the 1920s, but that might not lead the team.  Jack Ogden appeared in many more games, but starts are not broken out for his time with the IL Orioles.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

This got me to thinking, who started the most games for the Orioles in the previous decade?     And the answer of course, is Sidney Ponson (160), followed closely by Daniel Cabrera (146).

What a dark, dark decade.    

I would have guessed Rodrigo without looking it up, but maybe he crossed over into the 2010s.