Undrafted Free Agent SIgnings?

Philip

Ryan Watson appears to have good size 6-5, 215 and a low 90s fastball. Senior at Auburn who has come out of the pen most of his career. Good start to the season in 2020 with limited sample size. 7 app/7.1 IP/1.23 era/.160 BAA/7 K/1 BB

hard to find much info on him beyond that, other than that he was a previous late round draftee who elected to go to Auburn 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Mundy is a 1B/DH type measuring in at 6-0, 210. OPS’d over 1.000 in both seasons he played at Radford. Was on a year to start 2020, slashing .385/.468/.662 over 17 games. Obviously not the highest level of competition, but in final game of the season against Notre Dame, went 2/4 with a HR and a HBP. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

This is an interesting signing by the Phillies:

specifically that they were able to grab a HS guy who was in the Baseball America top-500. Maybe the fact that they can pay for college as well was a good enough incentive? Not seeing him on the fangraphs board, so maybe he wasn’t particularly highly regarded (trying to see if there’s a college commitment). 

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that some of the better ones will take their time deciding which team to sign with (or retuning to school.)

It will be interesting to see whether the big market and/or talent-loaded teams have an advantage in this signing free-for-all or the teams that might present a better opportunity to progress in the system.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Mundy is a 1B/DH type measuring in at 6-0, 210. OPS’d over 1.000 in both seasons he played at Radford. Was on a year to start 2020, slashing .385/.468/.662 over 17 games. Obviously not the highest level of competition, but in final game of the season against Notre Dame, went 2/4 with a HR and a HBP. 

Looks like he started for Virginia Tech as a freshman and as a sophomore.  I wonder why he transferred to Radford for his junior year?  Good hitting college player.  Will be interesting to see if he can take the next step.  Certainly seems to be worth taking a low-risk flyer on.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Looks like he started for Virginia Tech as a freshman and as a sophomore.  I wonder why he transferred to Radford for his junior year?  Good hitting college player.  Will be interesting to see if he can take the next step.  Certainly seems to be worth taking a low-risk flyer on.

looks like new coach was going to reduce his playing time and scholarship

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/college-baseball-notes-j-d-mundy-leaving-virginia-tech-for-radford/article_a4564bbd-a278-58c7-95b0-4d4e72996ee2.html

Former Timesland baseball player of the year J.D. Mundy is leaving Virginia Tech.

Mundy, an ex-Northside High School standout who started for the Hokies as a sophomore this year, said Saturday that he intends to transfer to Radford.

Mundy started 38 games in 2018 for first-year Tech coach John Szefc, including 27 at first base and 11 at designated hitter. He hit .257 with seven homers and 23 RBIs for the 21-33 Hokies.

In ACC play, he led the squad in batting (.317) and homers (five).

Mundy said he chose to transfer after Szefc informed him that he would not be the starting first baseman next season.

“[Transferring] was just the best decision for … my baseball career going forward,” said Mundy, who started more games at first base than any other Hokie this year. “The new coach, I guess he’s just trying to go into a different direction with the team and bring in some new guys. I guess he didn’t have me in … [his] plans. … He’s bringing in a bunch of [junior college] kids.

“I thought I should have been the starting first baseman next year. … [Szefc] told me that next year I would be the DH. I wanted to play the field. That’s why I left. I’m just looking to play the field at Radford.”

He said Szefc was also planning to reduce the amount of his partial scholarship.

“I’m pretty sure me and a bunch of other guys got it reduced by a little bit to give it to a bunch of the new kids,” he said. “But [leaving] really wasn’t as much about that.”

• Thanks 2