Where do the 2020 draftees fit into our Top 30?

connja

1. Adley Rutschman C#

2. Heston Kjerstad OF* - yes, I think he is more valuable than anyone not named Rutschman

3. Grayson Rodriguez RHP

4. D.L. Hall LHP

5. Austin Hays OF - just stay healthy and he is a star

6. Ryan Mountcastle LF/1B 

7. Mike Baumann RHP - this large human could be our best pitcher in a few years

8. Yusniel Diaz OF - this was to be the year he stayed healthy and put it together...sigh

9. Dean Kremer RHP - 

10. Hunter Harvey RHP

11. Keegan Akin LHP - I think he is better than his stats from 2019, I give him the benefit of the doubt for now that he was working on things out of his comfort zone

12. Zac Lowther LHP

13. Adam Hall SS - I am a fan of his overall game

14. Jordan Westburg SS - played well in the best college conference, believe he will make adjustments to drive the ball and make more consistent contact

15. Gunnar Henderson SS* - need to see more from him above GCL; mediocre HS competition, but solid in Summer circuit

16. Ryan McKenna OF - I believe he will get back to a more gap-to-gap approach. Trying to lift the ball is not his game.

17. Drew Rom LHP - looking forward to the gradual growth of this young man

18. Bruce Zimmerman LHP - really impressed by what I have seen in him, velo increase last year too

19. Kyle Stowers OF* - not sure what to think here just yet, but draft status and tools have him here

20. Hudson Haskin OF - biggest wildcard, but he hits the ball hard and plays hard

21. Anthony Servideo SS* - hopefully the 2020 version is who he is

22. Darell Hernaiz SS - future star

23. Alex Wells LHP

24. Brenan Hanifee RHP

25. Zach Watson OF - exciting tools, but needs to get a little stronger and make more consistent contact

26. Coby Mayo 3B - tools to be a top 5 talent in a few years

27. Gray Fenter RHP - may end up a back end BP guy, but encouraging year in 2019

28. Carter Baumler RHP - looking forward to his gradual growth

29. Luis Ortiz LHP - Elias/Koby strike it rich here. His video is impressive. Long way to go...but wow

30. Raul Rangel RHP - when this young man puts on some good weight, he is going to be a really good one. Saw a small amount of video on him, but I have read where a few people raved about him in the Tricky League.

I tend to give a little more credence to the player who has done it at higher levels. For instance, I have Westburg over Henderson because Westburg played two plus years at Miss State, while Henderson was in HS in Alabama in mediocre competition and a little GCL. I also value everyday players slightly over pitchers, generally, because of the risk involved. Weems says they all break, and he is right. The last two, I went with pure talent and projection. I wanted to see what that was like to actually list international talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh that new player smell.  He hasn't had a chance to fail yet.

And yet you have a college guy at #2.

Tendencies are never absolute ;)

On the other hand, I consider what he accomplished at Arkansas and Team USA to be significant. Those comments are really for tie-breaking. I think Henderson and Westburg are similar, but I gave the nod to Westburg. I try not to be that guy with a shiny new nickle, but yeah, we all have done it. 

10 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Tendencies are never absolute ;)

On the other hand, I consider what he accomplished at Arkansas and Team USA to be significant. Those comments are really for tie-breaking. I think Henderson and Westburg are similar, but I gave the nod to Westburg. I try not to be that guy with a shiny new nickle, but yeah, we all have done it. 

I think folks are weighing a couple of small sample sizes pretty heavily with regards to Kjerstad.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think folks are weighing a couple of small sample sizes pretty heavily with regards to Kjerstad.

Including the guys who drafted him.   But I think they have their reasons for putting weight there, other than just blind hope.   

Personally, I don’t like to rank guys who haven’t yet played minor league ball in comparison to those who have.    I’m especially reluctant to do it this year, when the HS/college season was so short and the MiL season has been non-existent.    Normally by now we’d have a good idea of which minor leaguers were progressing well from last year.     Now we have no idea.  So, for me any attempt to rank the players right now is a pretty arbitrary exercise.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The 2020 stats are indicative of his improvements in his athleticism, approach and overall hitting process. I see that in his play, albeit in a small amount of games, compared to years past. The tools are legit, and the attitude is great. The only things  I take from his 2020 stats is the improved BB/K rate and swing and miss numbers that Brad Ciolek spoke about. And yes, I believe they are right that Kjerstad was about to have a monster year. He worked hard and it shows.They had a good amount of data and scouting reports on him over about 5-6 years.

It’s my opinion to put him #2 in this exercise. Eye of the beholder thing. Adley was #1 before he played a minor league game as well. I admit that I did not consider Kjerstad seriously before the draft. Like everyone else, I assumed it would be Martin or Lacy. I did not do any work on him until after the pick. What I remembered from years past was not what I saw when I looked at his swing. I read up on him much more and understand why Elias selected him. 

I like Grayson a lot. My son played against him in travel ball. He improved a ton too the year he was drafted. Nearly everyone here said it was a terrible pick, a reach. I loved the pick. 

All of that said, it’s a fun exercise. I get the skepticism about kids that have yet to play pro ball. Especially HS guys. It’s all projection based on limited video and many other people’s observations. I tend to give Elias and his staff the benefit of the doubt. The more I learn about their process, the more I trust it. And I’ve been fooled before, so...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 10:08 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully the Orioles watched the college kids in the fall as well.  Could be another 20 games or so of data.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 11:13 AM, Frobby said:

Including the guys who drafted him.   But I think they have their reasons for putting weight there, other than just blind hope.   

Personally, I don’t like to rank guys who haven’t yet played minor league ball in comparison to those who have.    I’m especially reluctant to do it this year, when the HS/college season was so short and the MiL season has been non-existent.    Normally by now we’d have a good idea of which minor leaguers were progressing well from last year.     Now we have no idea.  So, for me any attempt to rank the players right now is a pretty arbitrary exercise.  

Are you a lawyer or something?  Sure sounds like it.