Os system up to 8th according to MLB.com

Sports Guy

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

He needs to be mad at service time rules, not the Orioles' GM's optimizing his behaviors concerning those rules.  Service time rules are the only reason 75% of the top 100 prospects over the age of 19 aren't in the majors.  In the decade before free agency it was common for 19, 20, 21 year olds to come to the majors with minimal seasoning.

I've got the ability to multi-task.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He needs to be mad at service time rules, not the Orioles' GM's optimizing his behaviors concerning those rules.  Service time rules are the only reason 75% of the top 100 prospects over the age of 19 aren't in the majors.  In the decade before free agency it was common for 19, 20, 21 year olds to come to the majors with minimal seasoning.

That's what I'm saying.  Don't get mad at the Orioles for playing by the rules.  

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What are you talking about?

He's got 204 games and 856 PA in AA.

He's been in AA for three years.  Other than Elias who does that?

He played in 76 of the 140 games in AA last year.  The previous year was a partial 38.  114 of his 204 total were over a span of 1.5 years.  Who cares where he was in the Dodgers system and how long they had him there?  

You're that giddy about his .250 avg over his 1.5 years at AA that you're just ready to keep on moving him up the ladder? Yea, Sure.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would way rather see DL Hall and Rodriguez  coming out of the bullpen a few nights a week than Phillips or Sulser or whoever.

Im sure there’s an argument to a starter staying down to work on all their pitches, but I’d rather that guy learn how to consistently get batters out in small doses.

3 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

He played in 76 of the 140 games in AA last year.  The previous year was a partial 38.  114 of his 204 total were over a span of 1.5 years.  Who cares where he was in the Dodgers system and how long they had him there?  

You're that giddy about his .250 avg over his 1.5 years at AA that you're just ready to keep on moving him up the ladder? Yea, Sure.

I care about what he was doing in the Dodgers system.  Why would you discount data?

Why are you quoting batting average?  Is it just because you think it makes your case look better?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I care about what he was doing in the Dodgers system.  Why would you discount data?

Why are you quoting batting average?  Is it just because you think it makes your case look better?

Look at his splits from when he arrived in Bowie vs Tulsa and try to explain to me how impressed you are with his performance that HE MUST GO TO AAA!

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Your case is that he needs to be promoted. My case is that he's done nothing to earn a promotion, so yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Just now, CarrRun49 said:

Look at his splits from when he arrived in Bowie vs Tulsa and try to explain to me how impressed you are with his performance that HE MUST GO TO AAA!

So what he did in 38 games in Bowie in 2018 is the reason he shouldn't have been promoted in 2019?

You do know what a small sample size is right?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So what he did in 38 games in Bowie in 2018 is the reason he shouldn't have been promoted in 2019?

Look at his splits. Look at the entirety of it.  It all says the same thing.  His OBP dropped .100 points, his SLG dropped .074, OPS dropped .170.    He didn't succeed in the Eastern League when he arrived.  So, logically you'd start him there again.  He barely played in half of the games last year in AA and hit marginally better than when he arrived here in the trade.  But yea, I'm delusional for thinking Diaz isn't knocking the door down at Camden Yards.

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I would way rather see DL Hall and Rodriguez  coming out of the bullpen a few nights a week than Phillips or Sulser or whoever.

Im sure there’s an argument to a starter staying down to work on all their pitches, but I’d rather that guy learn how to consistently get batters out in small doses.

Jim Palmer threw 182 minor league innings at 18-19 before he was in the majors for good.  Walked 190 batters in that time, and threw 32 wild pitches.  Today he'd have spent another three years in the minors instead of winning the World Series. 

Dave McNally went straight from Class A Elmira to the majors at 19 and never spent another inning in the minors.  Wally Bunker had 19 wins for the O's at the age of 19.  Milt Pappas was up at 18, threw 135 innings with the O's at 19.  Jerry Walker had a complete game shutout for the '57 Orioles, he was 18, debuted about a month after graduating high school.

Boog Powell, Wayne Causey, Brooks, Dave Nicholson, Ron Hansen, Andy Etchebarren, Paul Blair, Lou Piniella... all made their debuts with the O's at 20 or younger.  Brooks was in the majors the year he graduated from high school.

I'm all for getting talent to the majors as quickly as possible.  Hopefully the next CBA lets that happen.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You continue to argue that he should be promoted on playing merit and potential, when we all know the schedule is largely dictated by when he will probably have maximum value for the major league team.

If he was signed to some kind of 10-year, super team friendly contract he'd be starting in RF for the Orioles today.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

You continue to argue that he should be promoted on playing merit and potential, when we all know the schedule is largely dictated by when he will probably have maximum value for the major league team.

Not really in the Diaz case.  He could have been promoted to Norfolk and still had his service clock gamed.