Today might be the best I’ve felt about the Orioles in four years

Frobby

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m pretty sure that Kremer and Akin are not the same people as Cabrera and Wright, so no need to bring them up.

I think people here have PTSD and refuse to understand that Kremer and Akin are legitimately good prospects.. head and shoulders above where  someone like Cabrera and Wright were coming up. Or even Means. The O's system is flexing it's depth muscles lately.

4 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I think people here have PTSD and refuse to understand that Kremer and Akin are legitimately good prospects.. head and shoulders above where  someone like Cabrera and Wright were coming up. Or even Means. The O's system is flexing it's depth muscles lately.

I'm not a prospect expert so I tend to listen to those that are.  The fact that Kremer and Akin aren't toward the top of prospect lists for the Orioles leads me to err on the side of caution when it comes to expectations.

3 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I get that people don’t want to get overly excited because we have had so many failed pitching prospects, just like basically every team has.

But these are different pitchers and we have different people involved in the process of developing them...and the people who are doing it have proven themselves in far better organizations than the Os have been.

Doesnt mean they will definitely succeed and we have to give these guys far more time to really see how good or bad they will be.  For now, I will be excited about them because they do have legit talent and they are trending in the right direction and I trust the plan Elias has in place.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not a prospect expert so I tend to listen to those that are.  The fact that Kremer and Akin aren't toward the top of prospect lists for the Orioles leads me to err on the side of caution when it comes to expectations.

But they are towards the top of the O's prospect list? The O's have a pretty legit top 15. That's not an easy list to crack.

Just now, CallMeBrooksie said:

But they are towards the top of the O's prospect list? The O's have a pretty legit top 15. That's not an easy list to crack.

Yes they have good depth but it should still translate as a backend of the rotation guy or maybe a swing man.  Don't get me wrong value exists in a solid #4 starter but they aren't easy to get hyped up for.

And of course I would love for them to exceed expectations like Means did last year.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes they have good depth but it should still translate as a backend of the rotation guy or maybe a swing man.  Don't get me wrong value exists in a solid #4 starter but they aren't easy to get hyped up for.

And of course I would love for them to exceed expectations like Means did last year.

Yeah they both have the ceilings of middle of the rotation starters. I think that having a wealth of guys like that in your system is absolutely something to get excited about, especially when they come up and don't crap the bed. They're not as easy to come by as you might think, especially in recent O's history.

20 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Also PTSD from Arrieta. For a long time there has been a narrative that "the Orioles can't develop starters." (Seen through that lens, Kremer arguably proves the point since he was mostly developed by the Dodgers!). 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Also PTSD from Arrieta. For a long time there has been a narrative that "the Orioles can't develop starters." (Seen through that lens, Kremer arguably proves the point since he was mostly developed by the Dodgers!). 

I understand the frustration, but it's an un-informed take considering this is a completely different organization at every level 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kremer has a higher ceiling than #4 IMO. He might end up there (or lower) but I could also see him exceeding that. Sure, let's be realistic and it's only one start against a weakened Yank team, but ceiling is about potential. He has close to 11 K/9 in the minors, 95-96 FB with good command, physical build passes the eye test. I don't see any obvious weaknesses that would rule him out from #2-#3 type guy.  

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Kremer has a higher ceiling than #4 IMO. He might end up there (or lower) but I could also see him exceeding that. Sure, let's be realistic and it's only one start against a weakened Yank team, but ceiling is about potential. He has close to 11 K/9 in the minors, 95-96 FB with good command, physical build passes the eye test. I don't see any obvious weaknesses that would rule him out from #2-#3 type guy.  

I didn't say his ceiling was a #4.