Question about right vs left

HowAboutThat

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This. The thought probably was that Mountcastle is much quicker than Stewart and can presumably cover more ground.

Mountcastle though has shown to be very tentative on balls hit to him in the air or on the ground down the line or in the gap and doesn't have the arm strength to make up for it. 

While Mountcastle has good foot speed when on the way, his statcast reaction -1.1 ft and burst -2.9 ft have shown him to be very tentative in getting after balls. He has ran good routes though giving him a plus +.8 ft advantage. Overall he has a very poor -3.3ft/sec ratings and has been worth -1% catch pct and -1 OAA in his limited time out there. Based off 2019 leaderboards (2020 is not available yet), Only Melky Cabrera -4.2 (28.5 ft covered per sec) is worse than Mountcastle among qualifiers and Mountcastle 27.9 feet covered is by far the worse in the major league with Cabrera being second at 28.5 ft per second. This might be a big reason why he's taking ground balls at 1B again. 

I was right about Stewart improving from his awful -4.2 avg last year. He's still below average but at -1.7 and his 30.4 feet covered is still better than Mountcastle.

Basically by statcast numbers, Mountcastle is the worse or at the very least, among the worse defensive outfielders for covering distance in MLB. It also suggests he has not used the same footspeed when running the bases as he does in the outfield.

Sounds like you're describing someone with limited experience in the outfield. Hopefully he improves over time.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

More seriously, I expect his jumps will improve with experience.   But it’s something to watch.    

It also appears to be his footspeed when tracking balls. His lack of ft/sec covered is easily the worse in MLB among 2019 outfielders. He must not be able to run at full speed and track balls or he's just not comfortable enough to do so yet. Saying that, he could very well improve especially since there is nowhere to go but up! :D

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You really think they are going to use a couple-three weeks worth of data to make a change like that?

I'm sorry, did I say anywhere that the Orioles have taken three weeks of data and made a decision? I realize these are small sample sizes but they are pertinent enough to show he's not doing well out there. the Orioles also watched him down in the alternate camp and last year in LF.

I do think they will continue to give him an opportunity to improve since he does bring the speed tool that suggests with more experience he can improve.

Regardless, with Hays, Stewart, Santander, Mullins (still see him as a 4th outfielder), Diaz and perhaps even McKenna (I'm not really a McKenna guy) needing playing time over three next few years, Mountcastle may need to find his ABs at 1B or DH since he is the worse defensive outfielder of them all.

Either way, Mountcastle's bat is going to be in the lineup every day somewhere.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, interloper said:

LF appears to be the easiest way to get RM to the majors this year and with the foot speed it was a decent idea to have him add COF as a thing he can technically do. He can be serviceable there and at at 1B, and that's what he's gonna do. Hit a ton and be serviceable defensively. 

Every time people start using acronyms like that I'm going to start suggesting random, nonsensical guesses at what they are.  Like here it would have been much clearer if you'd written out "LF appears to be the easiest way to get Red Munger to the majors this year and with the foot speed it was a decent idea to have him add Canadian Orienteering Federation as a thing he can technically do."  I'll give you LF.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Every time people start using acronyms like that, I'm going to start suggesting random, nonsensical guesses at what they are. Like here, it would have been much clearer if you'd written out "LF appears to be the easiest way to get Red Munger to the Majors this year, and with the foot speed it was a decent idea to have him add Canadian Orienteering Federation as a thing he can technically do." I'll give you LF.

o

Is Paul McCartney dead ???

OPD: llll. Officially Pronounced Dead

OPP: lllll Ontario Provincial Police

Paul Is Deadâ Clues on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band | Turn Me On,  Dead Man

o

23 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Is Paul McCartney dead ???

OPD: llll. Officially Pronounced Dead

OPP: lllll Ontario Provincial Police

Paul Is Deadâ Clues on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band | Turn Me On,  Dead Man

o

I once had to deal with the OPP on an epic baseball trip around the Great Lakes and Midwest, after an unfortunate incident where I hit a bear with a rental car about an hour north Sault Ste. Marie.