Delmon Young possibly going back to Tampa in 3-way

Methodology

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081209&content_id=3708163&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Under this scenario, the Rays would deal either Edwin Jackson or Andy Sonnanstine to the Rockies, who would send third baseman Garrett Atkins to the Twins, and send Young to Tampa Bay.

I would have really liked the O's to try to get Sonnanstine. Hopefully they pick up a SP better than Garland.

Why? He is overpriced for a hitter away from Coors. He hit like .240 on the road. Atkins has the Coors effect on his stats.

Why? He can play 1B, 3B, or DH.

Expensive? He was paid 4.3 million last year. That is not that expensive for a power hitter anymore. I think you can sign him to an extension for 5-6 million a year at this point. He was hurt through much of 2008.

On the road? His career on the road OPS is .752. His HR total is 44 at Coors and 45 on the road. He has power AWAY from Coors.

Also, Baltimoron linked a website that you should check out. This tells you why you should just not judge Matt Holliday on his home/road splits. You could say the same for Garret Atkins.

Why? GB is generally pretty good for info on the Rays.

Well, GB isn't in Las Vegas so who knows how things change. But I would be very surprised if the organization went out and brought Young back. Seems like a lot of other options, from Bradley or Burrell in free agency to Ankeil or Hermidia in a trade, would have to disappear before they would consider this. And I do think they would have to have long talks with both Maddon and Crawford (among others) before they did it out of fear of a blow up. Right or wrong a lot of people in the clubhouse wanted Young gone. And players, guys like Crawford, can look at what happened in 2008 and believe it had a lot to do with chemistry, and would not want to see that reversed.

Their dream off season has Bradley in RF and Giambi at DH opening day. Bradley wants multi-years and Giambi prefers Oakland, so neither might happen. And it seems unlikely that Hermedia gets done for Jackson, so who knows perhaps they go to Young eventually. So maybe they did talk to those teams. But I seriously doubt that as long as other options are out there Young is anything more than a polite conversation.

Well, GB isn't in Las Vegas so who knows how things change. But I would be very surprised if the organization went out and brought Young back. Seems like a lot of other options, from Bradley or Burrell in free agency to Ankeil or Hermidia in a trade, would have to disappear before they would consider this. And I do think they would have to have long talks with both Maddon and Crawford (among others) before they did it out of fear of a blow up. Right or wrong a lot of people in the clubhouse wanted Young gone. And players, guys like Crawford, can look at what happened in 2008 and believe it had a lot to do with chemistry, and would not want to see that reversed.

Their dream off season has Bradley in RF and Giambi at DH opening day. Bradley wants multi-years and Giambi prefers Oakland, so neither might happen. And it seems unlikely that Hermedia gets done for Jackson, so who knows perhaps they go to Young eventually. So maybe they did talk to those teams. But I seriously doubt that as long as other options are out there Young is anything more than a polite conversation.

Don't the two bolded sentences contradict each other? It doesn't make much sense that a team that believes so much in chemistry would want Milton Bradley anywhere near the team.

Maybe so. Maybe it is the devil you know vs. devil you don't? I know Bradley has severe anger issues and doesn't care much for the media or fans in certain OF sections, but has he had blowups with teammates? The issues with Young were very much inside the clubhouse issues, not a short fuse. I think their bigger fear on Bradley is whether he can stay healthy in RF all season on that field of their's.

Archived