ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found this on a Nats board./ For what its worth (not much)

"My father's best friend from high school is a Luxury home Builder. His business partner plays cards every week with Teixeira's father. Tex's father indicated he really didn't want to play with the O's. He went further, stating Tex's choice would be to stay in LA. However the wife is pressing him to come east. Despite what you may have been lead to believe she is from Atlanta (some already knew this). My Dad's friend comes into play here because of his partner and the fact that he has a super luxury home on the Bay he wants to sell him if he moves to the area. Tex's dad indicated a desire for the wife to be able to spend some time during the season in the ATL. Who plays in the ATL 3 times per season? As petty as this sounds it is a factor as is the fact that apparently according to the father the Nats have and always have had the biggest offer. Also Tex seems to know or have been sold by the Nats brass that he would be the legacy starter in DC. Not grouped with Ripken, Brooks etc. In short if Tex goes anywhere else it won't be because the Nats got outbid. Take it for what its worth, but I trust my pops and the 2 individuals he knows and it would be one hell of a story for me to come up with."

reach/////////////

"My father's best friend from high school is a Luxury home Builder. His business partner plays cards every week with Teixeira's father. Tex's father indicated he really didn't want to play with the O's. He went further, stating Tex's choice would be to stay in LA. However the wife is pressing him to come east. Despite what you may have been lead to believe she is from Atlanta (some already knew this). My Dad's friend comes into play here because of his partner and the fact that he has a super luxury home on the Bay he wants to sell him if he moves to the area. Tex's dad indicated a desire for the wife to be able to spend some time during the season in the ATL. Who plays in the ATL 3 times per season? As petty as this sounds it is a factor as is the fact that apparently according to the father the Nats have and always have had the biggest offer. Also Tex seems to know or have been sold by the Nats brass that he would be the legacy starter in DC. Not grouped with Ripken, Brooks etc. In short if Tex goes anywhere else it won't be because the Nats got outbid. Take it for what its worth, but I trust my pops and the 2 individuals he knows and it would be one hell of a story for me to come up with."

Yeah, I don't buy that for an instant. What kind of person doesn't want to play for the team they grew up rooting for?a

Usually when Angelos wants something he gets it. And MacPhail is an excellent negotiator. Either way this goes I'm impressed with the way the FO has handled this.

I hate to sound so negative, but we honestly have no idea how MacPhail and the rest of our front office is/has handled the Teixeira negotiations.

MacPhail should be commended for keeping the Warehouse relatively leak-free, but other than that we really don't know how the front office has handled these negotiations.

I think we O's fans are suffering from information overload and in some cases the line between fact, hope, and rumor have become very squiggly and gray.

Unfortunately we won't know how MacPhail handled this until the ink is dry, whether it's on Orioles letterhead or otherwise.

There will be 7 threads about it...all started within about 2 minutes of each other and each poster will believe that they were going to be the first one to post it...that's how it works around here. :D

And, you'll have a post up within five minutes suggesting trading him to the Dodgers in a deal involving two other teams, with us having to pick up someone else's bad contract to defray the cost...that's how it works around here. :D

I wasn't really into sports back in Jr. High but on a school trip to DC in 1993, I saw a hat at the Potomac Mills Mall that had a bird on it, thought it looked pretty cool. A classmate told me it was the hat of the local baseball team, the Orioles. So I thought it would make a cool souvenir.

When I got back I started following the team through the weekend paper learning some of the players, and have been a fan ever since.

Thank goodness you didn't pick up a hat with the ugly NY on it....

Shenanigans.

Some guy's father's friend's partner (so we're at 3 degrees of separation) maybe wants to sell a house, and it is all hinging on who the team he signs with plays three times a year? For the kind of money Tex is about to get from someone (11 years of humiliation tells me Boston...but I'm trying to be hopeful) she can charter a flight to "the ATL" twice a week and not miss the money.

I'm not sure what stock to put in the 'legacy starter' stuff. Why would that hold an emotional appeal greater than being spoken of in the same breath as his childhood heroes? I don't see it, but then, I certainly don't know the guy.

If being in Atlanta was worth that much to Tex and his wife, don't you think he would've talked extension with the Braves when he was there?

I call shenanigans on this Nats post.

Archived