Dustin Ackley CF/1B at #5

His bat is above Tulo's and slightly below Longoria's. Unlike Longoria, he projects to stay at SS. He grades out above-AVG across the board and is at a premium position. I don't think #2 is that crazy, though I'd put him at three behind Strasburg and White.

Ackley's potential goes 70/55 for me (hit/power) whereas Green is 65/60. Green plays the more premium position, so even if he's 60/60 I still take him over Ackley. Ackley in CF goes #4 for me. His defense is true game-changing in the OF, so he has less value in LF for me without the power (though it's slight). I'd probably still take him #4 in LF. He doesn't have the arm for RF.

Joe Jordon who? Good stuff, man.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His bat is above Tulo's and slightly below Longoria's. Unlike Longoria, he projects to stay at SS. He grades out above-AVG across the board and is at a premium position. I don't think #2 is that crazy, though I'd put him at three behind Strasburg and White.

Ackley's potential goes 70/55 for me (hit/power) whereas Green is 65/60. Green plays the more premium position, so even if he's 60/60 I still take him over Ackley. Ackley in CF goes #4 for me. His defense is true game-changing in the OF, so he has less value in LF for me without the power (though it's slight). I'd probably still take him #4 in LF. He doesn't have the arm for RF.

As usual, right about the same there. I've got Ackley at 70/55 and Green at 60/60

There are some great opinions in this thread, and this forum in general. Assuming everyone maintains their value, I'd be thrilled if we got any of five players in this draft. That doesn't even include Crow, who has bad Karma written all over him.

My secret favorites are Ackley, just because he can rake, and Matzek. The latter will take a little longer to arrive, but he has #1 written all over him based on the accounts I've read here. Of course, I wouldn't be at all upset if we got Strasbourg, White or Green...I just don't see it happening.

Great stuff again everyone. Thanks for all of the information.

• 2 weeks later...
Just flipping through the college preview edition of BA and they rank Ackley as the top college hitter this year and a Pre-Season 1st Team All American at 1B.

We need this guy in the system and in Baltimore ASAP...

If he stays at first, he might end up being the most unique guy at that position. He hits for a ridiculously high average, and runs pretty darn well. Low power numbers though. I still don't know if I'd take him at 1/5 if he's stuck at first, but he's going to be an interesting player to be sure.

There are some great opinions in this thread, and this forum in general. Assuming everyone maintains their value, I'd be thrilled if we got any of five players in this draft. That doesn't even include Crow, who has bad Karma written all over him.

My secret favorites are Ackley, just because he can rake, and Matzek. The latter will take a little longer to arrive, but he has #1 written all over him based on the accounts I've read here. Of course, I wouldn't be at all upset if we got Strasbourg, White or Green...I just don't see it happening.

Great stuff again everyone. Thanks for all of the information.

Agree... Ackley, (if Green is gone) as of now, would be my choice. Matzek, is my fallback unless another great hitter emerges.

JTrea,

Thanks for the tip on Churchill's blog on ESPN and it is great to see Ackley getting time in CF. I would love to have his bat in our system. Let's hope that the arm injury gets behind him and he can play a lot of CF. Wouldn't it be great to have enough of a surplus in the OF in 3 or 4 years to be able to even consider moving a premium talent (let's say Pie pans out) because we have an Ackley ready to take over. When was the last time we were in that position?

According to our Greg Pappas...

Utley. Gwynn. Damon. These are the names most often mentioned when discussing the offensive talent that oozes from the lefty-swinging Ackley. His stance reminds one of Johnny Damon, he hits like Tony Gwynn as far as average and plate discipline, and has many projected him out to become another Chase Utley overall. Think .320+ BA, 20+ HR power, 20+ SB ability via above-average speed, and excellent defensive skills... and that gives you an idea of how highly touted of a player the NC native is. Another player that comes to mind is Nick Markakis.

http://www.mlb-draft.com/Top-Prospects-2009.php

Archived