Chayce McDermott 2022

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Chance is torched in his first game for Bowie.  Gets light up for 8 runs and a grandslam.  

Only four hits against but had six walks in less than four innings.   KId caused his own trouble tonight.

I was at the game and have a few observations:

1.  His fastball sat 95 mph and he dialed it up to 98 once.  All on the stadium gun, of course.  
2.  His curve ball had real nice break to it most of the time and was mostly 79 mph.  
2.  He hardly threw anything else.  I saw one 84 mph pitch that I think was a slider but could have been a changeup.  
4.  Nobody hit his fastball hard but he missed the strike zone with it a good bit.  I’ll say this, he wasn’t missing much.  I didn’t see many noncompetitive pitches.  
5.  Though his curve is nasty, he hung a few.  I think all three homers he allowed were on curve balls.  But other times it was a very effective pitch.  
6.  All three homers followed a walk.   And in the case of the grand slam, three walks.  
7.  It was raining in the first 2-3 innings so that explains some, not all, of McDermott’s trouble throwing strikes. 

Overall, he looks to me like a guy with two very good pitches who made some mistakes and had an off day with his command.  There’s talent to work with there.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

McDermott had his second straight good start for Bowie on Saturday: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K’s.

Doesn't throw as hard as I expected.   Looks like a 93-95 guy but mostly around 93, which is okay if he's a 3-pitch pitcher.    I've seen a few changeups that weren't half bad.   He'll need that.

• 4 months later...

Chayce McDermott getting some offseason pitch design in it looks like. 2740 RPM slider is nothing to sneeze at, if he can build it up to pair with his nice curve.

Stuff probably was never his issue if he can't learn to control everything, but its great to see him working on new pitches nonetheless!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nvpacchi said:

Chayce McDermott getting some offseason pitch design in it looks like. 2740 RPM slider is nothing to sneeze at, if he can build it up to pair with his nice curve.

Stuff probably was never his issue if he can't learn to control everything, but its great to see him working on new pitches nonetheless!

I was trying to dig a little into the numbers behind McDermott's pitch compared to what some MLB pitchers posted this year.

The best I could do was a blend of Penn Murfee and Michael King's sliders.  Insane horizontal movement (like top 10 in the majors).  He doesn't throw it as hard as King, but he spins it a bit better than Murfee.  Both of these guys had wOBA under .200 on their sliders last year.

The closest SP slider I could find was HOU Luis Garcia (.280 wOBA), but McDermott still had about 200 more RPMs of spin and 2 inches more of horizontal movement.

Of course this is probably the best pitch of the lot that he threw to put on Twitter, but at least McDermott has a goal to strive for and something to aim for to repeat over and over.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nvpacchi said:

FB in the 93-94 range paired with a SL at 79 causes problems too.  Hopefully the lab work comes with improved control too... 

McDermott certainly has the stuff to be a big league pitcher, but the next stage is trying to find the command or really, control to make it all work. 

He's a worthy project though with upside and it's good to see him continuing his offseason work to get better.

• Upvote 2