Mariners set to sign Rodriguez?

Sports Guy

I'm still a little skeptical of 14-year contracts for 22-year-olds.  I like the stepladders and incentives and relatively low AAV, but it's still 14 years. He could have a near Hall of Fame peak and still have eight years on the back end where he's almost useless.  He could be Vada Pinson or Cesar Cedeno.

I doubt anyone would sign Rutschman to a similar deal because there's a much higher chance a catcher doesn't make it to his mid-to-late 30s productively.  I could see Adley on an 8- or 10-year deal, maybe.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall them ever doing it.  (I don't count Markakis)

I don't know why people keep saying something isn't going to happen just because it never has before.

Plus, they locked up Brooks and Boog and a bunch of others to lifetime contracts right after they signed as amateurs.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know why people keep saying something isn't going to happen just because it never has before.

Plus, they locked up Brooks and Boog and a bunch of others to lifetime contracts right after they signed as amateurs.

Wasn't Brooks a free agent back in '77?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t want to sign Adley for more than 8 years.

8/120 or so seems right.

Johnny Bench's last productive season was at 32. Yogi's last 3-win season was at 34. Carter 32. Ivan Rodriguez 34. Fisk was almost suspiciously good in his 40s... Piazza's last 3-win season was at 33, except one comeback year at 37. Mauer stopped catching (and playing that well) at 30. Dickey was basically a part-time player from 33-on.

It's a reach to expect any catcher to be good past his early 30s.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Johnny Bench's last productive season was at 32. Yogi's last 3-win season was at 34. Carter 32. Ivan Rodriguez 34. Fisk was almost suspiciously good in his 40s... Piazza's last 3-win season was at 33, except one comeback year at 37. Mauer stopped catching (and playing that well) at 30. Dickey was basically a part-time player from 33-on.

It's a reach to expect any catcher to be good past his early 30s.

Bench was also in the majors as a teenager, Yogi was catching full time by 23. 

It looks like Adley's time behind the plate is going to be managed a lot more carefully.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Bench was also in the majors as a teenager, Yogi was catching full time by 23. 

It looks like Adley's time behind the plate is going to be managed a lot more carefully.

I don't know if that means anything.  We can hope.  Most good catchers have been catching somewhere, minors, high school, college, little league, a lot since they were teenagers.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This sent me to the 1960 Orioles page to joke about some terrible player also controlled To Infinity and Beyond under the Reserve Clause, but then poking around I got distracted by the top seven pitchers being Ages 37, 35, 22, 22, 21, 21 and 21.

That's like don't remember Pearl Harbor vs. enlisted right after Pearl Harbor type stuff.    At least Jordan Lyles can talk with Tyler Wells about the iPhone being invented or something.

Edited by Just Regular