Who would you take with the #1 pick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you had the #1 pick, who would you take?

I guess some people might pay too much attention to position and say Grant Green, SS from USC, but they shouldn't worry about that. We've already got our SS of the future in Cesar Izturis ;)

Seriously though, this should be pretty unanimous - Strasburg! Was there any mystery who was going 1st overall when David Price was eligible? No, and this is a very similar scenario. The hardest decision may belong to the Mariners with the 2nd pick.

I guess some people might pay too much attention to position and say Grant Green, SS from USC, but they shouldn't worry about that. We've already got our SS of the future in Cesar Izturis ;)

Seriously though, this should be pretty unanimous - Strasburg! Was there any mystery who was going 1st overall when David Price was eligible? No, and this is a very similar scenario. The hardest decision may belong to the Mariners with the 2nd pick.

Definitely agree, though I think as of today Alex White is an easy choice for me at #2.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Strasburg would be get the majority vote here, but some people might want to go after a position player like Grant (or like Stotle said, he might go Alex White).

Sorry, I fixed my above post to be more clear. White is a clear #2 behind STrasburg, for me.

Do you think anyone is likely to upseat Strasburg for the #1 spot? Anyone have an outside shot?

I can't imagine a scenario outside of injury or insane signing demands and Green putting in a season that tops what Posey or Beckham did last year. No HSers close; don't see White beating him out (though he was filthy at the CWS last year -- bumping his stock some).

I can't imagine a scenario outside of injury or insane signing demands and Green putting in a season that tops what Posey or Beckham did last year. No HSers close; don't see White beating him out (though he was filthy at the CWS last year -- bumping his stock some).

Going back to White vs. Matzek, in the long run, are you thinking White has the higher upside? Or do you just feel he's a safer bet to reach his potential?

Or is it both?

Going back to White vs. Matzek, in the long run, are you thinking White has the higher upside? Or do you just feel he's a safer bet to reach his potential?

Or is it both?

A lot less risk w/slightly less upside. I think White tops out as a number 2 right now whereas Matzek could be a legit ace down the road.

A lot less risk w/slightly less upside. I think White tops out as a number 2 right now whereas Matzek could be a legit ace down the road.

So if Strasburg is 1, and White is 2 on your list, where is Matzek?

Another thing, if White becomes an Orioles, where will he rank among our young pitching prospects?

So if Strasburg is 1, and White is 2 on your list, where is Matzek?

Another thing, if White becomes an Orioles, where will he rank among our young pitching prospects?

Too early to rank White as a MiL prospect. Matzek is 4 on my list behind Green.

I know it early, but...

Any MLB comparisons for:

Strasburg, White and Matzek?

Tough question. For some reason I'm blanking a bit. Strasburg has an incredible fastball, big 2-plane plus-CB and a good feel for a changeup. Nice solid frame. Not many MLers boast his quality of fastball combined with such an impressive curve. I can't think of any lefty with Matzek's potential power stuff. I guess I'd go with:

Strasburg -- AJ Burnett with an even better fastball or maybe Lincecum with a purer motion and a MUCH better frame (though he throws a downer rather than a 2-planer)

White -- Brandon Webb sounds about right

Matzek -- Hamels with a potential plus-plus fastball if he fully fills out

Obviously, these would be ceilings, but the make-up/arsenal is similar for each, I think. Someone could probably do a better job -- I'm usually bad at these things.

Archived