2023 Minor League Spring training news

Tony-OH

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, by checking out Eric_Birdland tweets and video you can get an idea where players will start in the system.

Holliday - Delmarva

Ardoin - Aberdeen

Luis Sanchez looks like he has a heck of a breaking pitch.  Someone to keep an eye on at Delmarva.   We’ve seen Pinto and Juan De Los Santos have some success.  I think this could be the start of something at Delmarva this year with more Latino pitchers starting to emerge as legitimate prospects.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Eric_Birdland/status/1637982673644732419/video/1

Edited by RZNJ

This guy has tons of video. Eric_Birdland.   And this.

Lineup from the Delmarva squad at Pirate City today: N Romero-1B Basallo-C M Hernandez-SS A De Los Santos-3B L Almeyda-DH R Martinez-OF T Cortorreal-OF S Acevedo-OF R Cruz-2B Z. Showalter/M Chace/H Niermann/C Alvarez/Hugo Beltran #prospects

Interesting that Almeyda is working out with Delmarva squad.  I highly doubt the 17 yo starts there but I think it’s a sign that he starts in the FCL instead of the DSL.

There’s video of Maikol Hernandez looking stronger and impacting the baseball.  You never know.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This guy has tons of video. Eric_Birdland.   And this.

Lineup from the Delmarva squad at Pirate City today: N Romero-1B Basallo-C M Hernandez-SS A De Los Santos-3B L Almeyda-DH R Martinez-OF T Cortorreal-OF S Acevedo-OF R Cruz-2B Z. Showalter/M Chace/H Niermann/C Alvarez/Hugo Beltran #prospects

Interesting that Almeyda is working out with Delmarva squad.  I highly doubt the 17 yo starts there but I think it’s a sign that he starts in the FCL instead of the DSL.

There’s video of Maikol Hernandez looking stronger and impacting the baseball.  You never know.

My past impression, back when Doc Shotebird was posting reports from MiL camp, was that who was playing with which minor league squad on a particular spring day was not necessarily indicative of where they would be assigned.   I don’t think they have four separate MiL games on a given day, and they’re doing lots of different drills, scrimmages etc.

As to Hernandez, it wouid be nice if he could start showing why he got a 7 figure bonus.  These guys are young and sometimes it takes a while for things to click.  Let’s hope.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

My past impression, back when Doc Shotebird was posting reports from MiL camp, was that who was playing with which minor league squad on a particular spring day was not necessarily indicative of where they would be assigned.   I don’t think they have four separate MiL games on a given day, and they’re doing lots of different drills, scrimmages etc.

As to Hernandez, it wouid be nice if he could start showing why he got a 7 figure bonus.  These guys are young and sometimes it takes a while for things to click.  Let’s hope.  

You’re right that a lot of times guys might be a level higher until the rest of the minor leaguers trickle over from the big league camp but it does help to see who is playing with who.  

Curiously, no Baumler sighting yet but we didn’t see some other likely Delmarva pitchers like Deivy Cruz either.

Typically guys are playing one level higher early in the spring but as players get cut, they start trickling down to the teams they are going to start with. The Delmarva guys are trying to make that team, anyone higher is most likely starting at a full season club.

• Upvote 1