Jump to content

Interesting stuff going on in Seattle


TakebackOPACY

Recommended Posts

Nov. 15: Mariners Plan Department Devoted to Statistical Analysis

Dec 12: Mariners Ditching Advance Scouts, Transferring Duties to Stats Department

Jan 4: A spiral of links all seem to be pointing to this article as the source that the Mariners have hired Tom Tango as a consultant. I'm not paying for it (I've boycotted credit cards to the extent that I can), but the Tom Tango wikipedia page says he's now a Mariners consultant. This USSMariner blog says he is. This Baseball Musings post, which is where I found all this material, says he is as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting....surprised to see they are ditching advanced scouts, though. Seems like they provide a function that the stats office would not, and that the two approaches could complement each other. Your next opposing starter seems to be favoring his pushoff foot and that's causing his wildnes sin his last two starts....an advance scout can observe and tell you that. To a stats guy, the wildness the last two starts is just a meaningless piece of info due to small sample size and the guy should regress to the mean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Somewhere, Rshack is blowing a gasket.

Huh? Why? I think stats can be highly useful. I don't know why anybody would think otherwise.

I simply object to some of the dumb things people do with them around here.

I think the part about "ditching the advance scouts" is dumb, as would be reducing other elements of direct human evaluation, but the other parts make perfect sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... I think the part about "ditching the advance scouts" is dumb, as would be reducing other elements of direct human evaluation, but the other parts make perfect sense.

Noticing the Bill James quote in your sig, I think it was he who said that statistics only tell you about 5 percent of the story concerning a player, with expert observation (scouts) providing the other 95 percent.

Bill's percentages are probably off, but I think he's correct in principle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noticing the Bill James quote in your sig, I think it was he who said that statistics only tell you about 5 percent of the story concerning a player, with expert observation (scouts) providing the other 95 percent.

Bill's percentages are probably off, but I think he's correct in principle.

I always consider Stats to be the cliff notes to a Baseball Players Career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Posts

    • Eh, noise. IDGAF anyway, having cut the cord long ago. I know the feeling though… Dish pulled that BS a couple years ago. I’m hoping Rubenstein can find a way to ala carte everything. There will certainly be demand.
    • I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere, but Irvin morphed his slider into a cutter last year that is by far his best pitch by Stuff+. He threw it 16% of the time too, decent usage but could be increased more. He’s always going to score poorly in stuff for pitch models but very well in command grades, so even some slight upticks in stuff could make a big difference. His curve is also decent. He relies a lot on his fastball/sinker/change, so I’d be interested in him moving more towards the cutter/curve (which generally are still effective against RH batters). Irvin was absolutely unreal horrific in his first few starts last season, which tanked his season numbers (particularly xERA), but really righted the ship after that. He’s a decent piece to be a 5th starter, he’s been very durable, throws a lot of strikes and as a result can pitch a lot of innings (if you aren’t pulling him early in close games), and is a good fit for OPACY. It’s just a bad spot that our depth chart is already whittled down to him being that to start the year. 
    • Things aren’t looking good for MASN and comcast.     Would still figure they find a way to get a deal done but it doesn’t seem as certain as I think it was.
    • Verlander needs 140 IP and a clean doctor's note to assure himself of 1/35 next season but if he misses that I could see him somewhere on Elias' target list for the year over year Lyles-Gibson-Kimbrel 1-year contract stretch. Its a bit of an art question for baseball how it wants to grapple with all Friedman and Driveline have brought to the game.    Roki Sasaki or Paul Skenes or even Grayson Rodriguez might be their generation's Justin Verlander but today's game will constrain them from revealing it as fully to baseball fans even if they are. Verlander has become a TJ statistic in recent years, but for me he really isn't - every bit of work on his Hall of Fame plaque was done before the surgeon took some of him.
    • Buried in the article, but it says this:   “Verlander said he heard at the trade deadline that the Dodgers and Orioles were interested, and he said he’d have accepted Los Angeles or even Baltimore if those were the options. “I’m from Virginia,” Verlander said. But when Houston, where he’d won his rings, became viable, he said he was happy to “steer things” that way.”
    • Has the added benefit of being on the 40-man already, so nobody necessarily needs to be removed for him to come up as a reliever later in the season.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...