Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

His meh year was still pretty good on a really bad team.  Pitchers worse than him are signing for 16-20M.   Cease only costs 8-9M this year.   He hasn’t missed a start in 3 years.   You don’t want him, fine.   He has value.   I guess we’ll find out what the market is eventually but I don’t think that package gets it done.

He had a higher ERA last year than Jordan Lyles did in his year here. “Meh” is a pretty good description. 

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think that's probably right, but if Povich or McDermott can help us land a Luzardo type guy, who's a 26 year old TORish SP and has 3 years of control, I would hope that we would be willing to pull the trigger.

Me too .. the scouting report has him as a 5ty starter 

8 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Well if you want to look deeper, he had a high WHIP buoyed by a very high walk rate. 

Sure.  His FIP was 3.79 and strikeout rate among the best in the league.   And one year removed from a great year.    If you don’t think he’s good why try to get him at all?

I haven't heard them mentioned much, but it seems like Manny Machado's Padres ought to be in on Cease.     Even switching Soto for a bunch of Yankees innings sponges, they still look short.

I don't think the roster core Peter Seidler empowered AJ Preller to purchase is going to get to the other side, but if it is going to, Cease's present wins would really help before Manny, Darvish and Xander get even moldier.      I won't be shocked if in a couple years all the expensive Padres still any good are on other Clubs, and Manny Machado is on a very short list of guys I might enjoy at 3B more than Coby Mayo.     More practically, Elias might gain a view if Musgrove, Darvish or Michael King join the ranks of Good Available pitchers if the '24 Padres year runs bad.

I did a skim of what Depth Charts thinks are the Top 5 projected SP for each Club, and the Clubs that have a rotation spot or two with a weak (fWAR 1.0 or less) forecast look like:

Baltimore, Toronto, NY Yankees, Houston, Milwaukee, Chicago Cubs, Arizona, San Diego

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure.  His FIP was 3.79 and strikeout rate among the best in the league.   And one year removed from a great year.    If you don’t think he’s good why try to get him at all?

Where did you get the idea that I thought he wasn’t good? I said his year last year was meh — which it was. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

His meh year was still pretty good on a really bad team.  Pitchers worse than him are signing for 16-20M.   Cease only costs 8-9M this year.   He hasn’t missed a start in 3 years.   You don’t want him, fine.   He has value.   I guess we’ll find out what the market is eventually but I don’t think that package gets it done.

I want him, I am just not trading Mayo, Holliday, or Basallo for him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I want him, I am just not trading Mayo, Holliday, or Basallo for him.

About a month ago, the majority of the board was okay with Cowser + Ortiz.  WS fans apparently want more.  If Elias can get him for less than that more power to him.  I think I’d prefer to keep Cowser over Fabian, Armbruester, Stowers, and ??

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

About a month ago, the majority of the board was okay with Cowser + Ortiz.  WS fans apparently want more.  If Elias can get him for less than that more power to him.  I think I’d prefer to keep Cowser over Fabian, Armbruester, Stowers, and ??

And a month before that, most of the board didn't want him at that price.

That's why most people are bad at poker.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would definitely rather do Fabian plus than Cowser but I think I would still do Cowser Ortiz. That is pretty much my absolute limit offer but still maybe not enough if Sox are set on Mayo.

• Upvote 1