8/28 at LA Dodgers

WillyM

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Maybe tomorrow, the O's will have a starter that can get thru 5 innings w/o giving up 6 runs and it will be worth using our good relievers.

We are facing an ERA of over 7 tomorrow.  
Those guys kill us

Well another lost opportunity.  Winnable game.  Burnes needs to skip his next start.  Take a vacation 

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

So nice to know when your ace is now pitching you have virtually no chance of winning. Probably a better chance of winning tomorrow with Povich 

Unless Burnes turns it around completely and soon,  you can’t put him on playoff roster 

• Haha 1

Just now, MDK02 said:

What’s the most games we’ve won in a row since May? Like 2?

We had a 6 game and a 4 game win streak in June.  We had a 3 game win streak in mid July.  Since then, nothing more than a 2 game win streak.

6 minutes ago, O's84 said:

He imploded after a lead off error to the #9 hitter and allowed 4 runs.  He threw too many non competitive in key situations. He allows 4 SB.  This is from you Ace he's been awful all month.  I'm sorry, no he was bad.  Yes, could things be better if the defense was a little better, yes.  But let's be honest, he's your ace and he should be better than that.  And btw, the aftermnetioned air before imploding, he was ahead of the #9 0-2 and then 2 of the pitchers weren't even close to the strikezone. and it got a 3-2 count and the ball was hit well.  In a later inning he was ahead of the #9 hitter 0-2, and gave up hit that eventually led to a run.  And the next pitch was singed by Ohtani, luck it was right at someone.  Could have been far worse.

He was bad tonight, he's hasn't been good this month.  

If your #5 pitcher, say it's Povich, can't adjust to less than ideal situations or the defense not playly perfectly, you just accept it as that's your back of rotation guy and he just does the best he can.  For you ace, former Cy Young, about to be fabously rich #1 pitcher, the expectations are a little higher.  He's still the guy that threw 2 home run pitches or are we going to blame that on the defense too?

6 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Holiday strikes out so much, I’m just glad when he puts the ball in play. Not what I’d like for a top prospect but it is what it is.

With Adley also disappointing, the top jewel from the farm may end up being the 42nd overall pick.

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

You think we would not have won if we hadn’t given up 5 unearned runs? I stopped watching at 6-4, but I saw enough.

I apologize, I was a bit rude with the way I responded. 

Anyways, I think you are looking at this the wrong way.  He's handed a 3-1 lead and got the first batter out in the 3rd.  Then Urias makes an error.  Then he implodes and gives up 4 runs.  Just cause they are unearned doesn't get him off the hook.  He turned a 1 out base runner into a 4 run inning.  This is your ace and he has been bad all month and he came up small again.  And he can't control the running game either, he allowed 4 SB.  Usually his inability to hold runners doesn't matter because he doesn't allow many base runners but that's not been the case this month and it is really hurting the team. 

Later in the 5th inning he allowed a lead off hit from the #9 batter on a 0-2 count.  Next Ohtani singed a ball at 108 MPH but thankfully it was right at O'Hearn who dropped it and didn't turn the DP but still got an out.  That easily couldn't have been a double.  Eventually his inability to control the run game combined with Gunnar's error led to another run.  So I'm not saying it's all his fault, but just pointing out that just looking at his outing with the 5 unearned runs is not looking at the whole picture

And btw, I am not closing the book on him this season because I still believe that he'll turn it around.  But it is frustrating to see him have another outing like this.

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

Gunnar’s defense is just fine.  He may be feeling the pressure of being the best player on a very young team.  He makes plays that not many SS can make.  Cal made twice as many errors early in his career.  

I guess the acc in your username doesn't stand for "accurate." I mean, it's a valid point that Cal was error prone then, with 25-26-26 errors in 1983-4-5. So why hyperbolize to "twice as many"? Gunnar's on pace for 24.

(ugly loss overreaction alert):

Ortiz gone, I'm on Griff O'Ferrall watch now. Or voting Mateo '25.
Yes, even though Cal improved. Machado is the better comp.