Second round and later

It's easy to crunch the numbers and analyze every inch of the Top 10 picks, but, as we all know, the quality of a draft is made in the middle to late rounds.

We picked up Arrieta and Erbe after the first round because of signability concerns. We grabbed Bobby Bundy late because of an injury risk.

Who are some players that may drop for these reasons? Also, Stotle said in another post he likes the positional possibilities in rounds 2-5... who are some names?

It's easy to crunch the numbers and analyze every inch of the Top 10 picks, but, as we all know, the quality of a draft is made in the middle to late rounds.

We picked up Arrieta and Erbe after the first round because of signability concerns. We grabbed Bobby Bundy late because of an injury risk.

Who are some players that may drop for these reasons? Also, Stotle said in another post he likes the positional possibilities in rounds 2-5... who are some names?

We actually have a few targets written up on our site . . . but here is one guy (this is an abbreviated summary):

Tommy Mendonca

POSITION: 3B/1B

HT/WT: 6-1 / 200

B/T: L/R

SCHOOL: Fresno State University

YEAR: Junior

Mendonca has big time raw power, a big time arm and smooth actions at third. The rest of the package carries some risks -- primarily whether or not he'll make enough contact for his power to play at the next level. His stock could vary greatly depending on how successful his drafting team believes it can be in tightening-up his swing and tapping into that raw power. His defense will help his case, as would his continuing to cut down on his strikeout rate. Perhaps most importantly, he can continue to show an improved understanding of the strikezone and discipline in his approach. It's unlikely Mendonca will ever hit for a high average, but with some adjustments he could provide above-average power and defense at third, ideally profiling as slightly more than a three-outcome third baseman with plus arm and defense. A team that believes in his skillset could nab him as early as the late or supplemental first round.

I want Alex Wilson if he is available and if he will be a starter. He had TJ surgery in 07 I believe, but his stuff is off the charts. He has some of the best stuff in the entire draft. Last I had heard he was moved to the pen, probably to help him gain his strength back, but I would expect him to be moved back to the rotation once a team drafts him.

Marrero the high school short stop would be pretty good. Kent Matthes would be awesome.....

There are a few you can look for in the second, but picking as high as we are in the second we should be focusing on first round talent that drops down, there are always a few that do.

In the third, I might be looking for guys like Jordan Luvisi P/OF, HS in AZ, or Reggie Williams, OF, HS in FL.

Archived