Orioles 2:5 pick

From our OH Mock Draft:

2:5 Baltimore Orioles

Mark Krauss

1B/OF OHIO U

6'3" 225 lbs.

I really like Krauss here, and I'm surprised he fell. He's a proven college bat with a very solid track record, and I like him more than another guy I considered here, FSU's Tommy Mendonca. Krauss has very good BB and K rates, which is surprising given the amount of power he has. Plus, he's done it in the Cape Cod League, so transferring to a wood bat shouldn't be too much of a problem for him. Defensively, I haven't seen too much written on him, but if he can handle 1B that would be a plus. This player reminds me of Nolan Reimold, but hopefully the 1B version. Both were big mashers from MAC schools, both had decent K/BB rates, but Krauss has shown more power with higher averages.

I'm sure there will be a lot of differing opinions as to what this pick should have been, show hopefully we can come up with a list of possible candidates for 2:5. I was initially hoping that Maddox fell, because even if he doesn't stick behind the plate, I think his power will play elsewhere, but I'd be very happy with Krauss. He's apparently rising up draft boards, and could land in the back half of the first round.

Starting right about here (2:5) is where I lose the ability to effectively comment on this player or alternatives. I'm hoping that some of you draft gurus can give some thoughts about this player and others that the Orioles might target at 2:5.

If we look at last year's pick (Avery), we might be able to assume that Jordan wants a high ceiling guy here. I assume that would mean we pick a signability guy or a toolsy high schooler who we might be able to tailor into the type of player we want.

Or, maybe Jordan sticks with BPA...a college player who's close to a finished product, has a decent ceiling but a well-established floor as well.

I don't have a clue. :laughlol: Thoughts?

I like Krauss a bit, but I like Mendonca a lot and that would have been my pick. I think it's better to take a shot that plays 3rd and could move to first if he needs to, but Krauss is limited to 1B, so you only have one option (well plus DH but you don't want to draft a guy that can only play there)

From our OH Mock Draft:

Starting right about here (2:5) is where I lose the ability to effectively comment on this player or alternatives. I'm hoping that some of you draft gurus can give some thoughts about this player and others that the Orioles might target at 2:5.

If we look at last year's pick (Avery), we might be able to assume that Jordan wants a high ceiling guy here. I assume that would mean we pick a signability guy or a toolsy high schooler who we might be able to tailor into the type of player we want.

Or, maybe Jordan sticks with BPA...a college player who's close to a finished product, has a decent ceiling but a well-established floor as well.

I don't have a clue. :laughlol: Thoughts?

haha same here, but Krauss sounds very very intriguing....I wouldnt mind to go with one of the young catchers here if available, maybe a SS like Dj Lemahieu or Devin Marrero. I wouldnt mind to get a high ceiling HSer here either OR a guy like Dwyer or if Dyson is still around though I think both are college guys.....

Heathcott

Marisnick

Mier

Are three of the guys I'd try to grab if available and would fit the general player you are describing.

If he slips, Matt Davidson would be my pick there. Trout is an excellent example of the player you describe, but his stock probably rose too much over the last month for him to be available.

There will also be a couple of relief arms that could be very good value. I don't know I'd look HS arm again here, but I'd see who is still around.

I want Mendonca, but would probably gamble that he'd be around at 3:5 -- I think I have enough concerns about his swing to hold off spending a 2:5 pick on him. I would be for grabbing him as early as 2:20ish, were Baltimore selecting later in the second round.

haha same here, but Krauss sounds very very intriguing....I wouldnt mind to go with one of the young catchers here if available, maybe a SS like Dj Lemahieu or Devin Marrero. I wouldnt mind to get a high ceiling HSer here either OR a guy like Dwyer or if Dyson is still around though I think both are college guys.....

I like Marrero a lot, but think he'll be around in the 3rd or 4th (school committment and inconsistent bat this spring, though he looked great to me at Wrigley last summer). I don't like that Mainieri shifted LeMahieu to 2nd -- I would have liked to see him at short more. Not sure I'd draft him as a 2B in a Ripken body as high as the 2nd.

I like Marrero a lot, but think he'll be around in the 3rd or 4th (school committment and inconsistent bat this spring, though he looked great to me at Wrigley last summer). I don't like that Mainieri shifted LeMahieu to 2nd -- I would have liked to see him at short more. Not sure I'd draft him as a 2B in a Ripken body as high as the 2nd.

Dang, when did he shift to 2nd base? He started out the season blazing hot....The type of player we go for in the 2nd round I guess depends a lot on who we take in the 1st round... If we go with Green, then I do nto expect to draft another SS in the 2nd, but Im thinking we take a pitcher in the 1st and maybe a college SS like DJ or maybe a a HS SS in the 2nd, but if we take BPA in the 2nd then it may not even be a middle infielder.....There will probably be some strong catching and 1st/3rd base prospects around.....

My ideal start to the draft for us would go:

1:5 - Matzek

2:5 - C. Jenkins (yeah, that won't happen) but 2nd you take whoever slips.

3:5 - Mendonca

4:5 - D. Marrero

That would be just amazing if we could pull this off....Though last year's top end was really nice with Matusz at the 1:4 pick, if we pulled this off, then IMO the top of the 09 draft would be more successful.....

My ideal start to the draft for us would go:

1:5 - Matzek

2:5 - C. Jenkins (yeah, that won't happen) but 2nd you take whoever slips.

3:5 - Mendonca

4:5 - D. Marrero

Glad to see you on board with Mendonca/Marrero. Haven't heard you really mention much about them. I think both could be good and was impressed when I saw them.

Glad to see you on board with Mendonca/Marrero. Haven't heard you really mention much about them. I think both could be good and was impressed when I saw them.

I like both of them alot, but like you said it's hard to say I want to take them at 2:5, and then when you get to 3:5 you have to start worrying about other guys getting in on them. Ideally I think it would line up like this and I'd love to have them both. Just not in the second :)

I like both of them alot, but like you said it's hard to say I want to take them at 2:5, and then when you get to 3:5 you have to start worrying about other guys getting in on them. Ideally I think it would line up like this and I'd love to have them both. Just not in the second :)

Interesting, I have not seen you mention Mendonca at all until today. Stotle and I think pretty highly of him. What do you see his outlook as?

Heathcott

Marisnick

Mier

Are three of the guys I'd try to grab if available and would fit the general player you are describing.

If he slips, Matt Davidson would be my pick there. Trout is an excellent example of the player you describe, but his stock probably rose too much over the last month for him to be available.

There will also be a couple of relief arms that could be very good value. I don't know I'd look HS arm again here, but I'd see who is still around.

I want Mendonca, but would probably gamble that he'd be around at 3:5 -- I think I have enough concerns about his swing to hold off spending a 2:5 pick on him. I would be for grabbing him as early as 2:20ish, were Baltimore selecting later in the second round.

Is there any chance that Mier falls? I agree that he'd be nice value at 2:5.

Interesting, I have not seen you mention Mendonca at all until today. Stotle and I think pretty highly of him. What do you see his outlook as?

Yeah, I mean I mentioned that I had a couple guys I like in the later rounds but I guess I never really went into it. He's one of the guys I've had my eyes on, I just couldn't decide if I liked him as a second or third round guy, a couple weeks ago I was hoping he fell into 4th round territory, but I don't think that's going to happen.

He reminds me a lot of Troy Glaus with the bat and Scott Rolen with the glove, little above average arm, good range, I was on board enough just because of the defense, but he's got good pop with the bat too. Swings and misses a lot like most true power hitters, but I think with some time in the minors could be a .265 30 100 guy, and with a glove like that, that is a total bonus.

Is there any chance that Mier falls? I agree that he'd be nice value at 2:5.

Sure. He could go in the second half of the 1st all the way to the 2nd. I would be surprised if he falls further than that, and I think Arizona could nab him with one of their first six picks.

Archived